Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

trumpeting with pypes mid muffler and stock H?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I've read about trumpeting with offroad h pipes and axle backs, but not so much with mid muffler and stock catted H pipe. It really sounds bad if i'm next to a curb.

So what are my options to get a nice deep tone? When I first installed the mid mufflers, it was before the whipple and I don't remember having this irritating exhaust tone. For those not familiar with the sound in question, I believe it is what you hear in my video at 1:17 and 2:02. It only does it in a certain rpm range and part throttle, for the most part. It's most noticeable to me shifting from 1st to 2nd, because I have to feather the throttle to keep the tires from spinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPBIVJYw3d4

Everyone with offroad pipes use resonators to eliminate the sound, but what about resonated exhaust tips? Maybe worth a shot.
First off very cool perspective on a car video. I was going to ask how in the hell is the underbelly so effin dirty, however in the lader part of the video I realized that. You must live near Daytona or something.. Looked as if you were driving on the beach.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
OMG my high school memories of a RX7 have been destroyed with that horrible video!! My God can a car sound any worse than that? NO........lol

Please do not consider that piece of crap. If you want a cheap solution try these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-MU...ht_1213wt_1021

I picked up a new used set for $125 locally here. Its a flow thru muffler, you can see right through it. Its very deep and the finish is a freaking mirror. Have had them on the car for at least 6 months and its still shiny as new. The hangers on mine were a little off but I was able to hang em straight.

Here is a video but my camara does not pick up the low frequencies so you cant hear how deep it is. I have cams, longtubes, pypes m80s with cherry bomb glasspacks mid mounted and then the Nxt step axlebacks. My idle is very deep and throaty. Cruising around you can hear it in the car but not a overwhelming drone at all. At WOT its nice and loud. They are well worth the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHQueteziRE
Maybe it's the video but that sounds awful
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 PM
bulldog1881

Default MIL?

Hello,
While I may not be much help with your sound, I wonder how you solved the MIL problem by running your exhaust without any cat's? I have no cat's on my Pypes system and have bunged the back 2 oxygen sensors and still can't get the MIL to stay off. All 4 sensors are new.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank-you,
The Bulldog1881
Old 08-18-2012, 04:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bulldog1881
Hello,
While I may not be much help with your sound, I wonder how you solved the MIL problem by running your exhaust without any cat's? I have no cat's on my Pypes system and have bunged the back 2 oxygen sensors and still can't get the MIL to stay off. All 4 sensors are new.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank-you,
The Bulldog1881
I have cats, I'm just using the rear 02 location for a wide band sensor. I had brenspeed turn off the rear 02's and haven't seen the light since.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warrio17
Maybe it's the video but that sounds awful
Thanks dude. LOL

Listen with headphones. PC speakers dont reproduce the tone. New brenspeed tune vs other video is JDM tune.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I swapped the 4 inch (18 inch long) resonated tips for some 3 inch non-resonated tips. both are slash cut and 18 inches long. Surprisingly, even the non-resonated tips seem to reduce the trumpeting compared to the short 4 inch rolled tips from pypes. I think it's because of less 2.5 inch pipe in the system now. The pypes mid muffler system is basically 2.5 inch pipe all the way to the bumper with some really short 4 inch tips. The resonated tip is just too damn quiet, but i'm not done with it. I'm going to take out the resonators and see how the 4 inch tips sound. I'm thinking the longer, larger diameter the tip is, the deeper the tone. Wish I had gotten the 22 inch long tips.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:07 PM
bulldog1881

thanks moosestang, being new to the mustang world is brenspeed a tuner, a device or both? did you just block off the first two O2 sensors? sorry for all the questions, but your answer is the most logical I have gotten..
bulldog1881
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bulldog1881
thanks moosestang, being new to the mustang world is brenspeed a tuner, a device or both? did you just block off the first two O2 sensors? sorry for all the questions, but your answer is the most logical I have gotten..
bulldog1881
www.brenspeed.com

I left the other rear 02 sensor hooked up to fill the hole, but they are not active in my tune. Who's tune do you have? You say all 4 sensors are new, so you have the rear 02 sensors just hanging under the car?

The Mil eliminators only work on the 05-06 cars I think.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:50 PM
bulldog1881

no, all 4 02 sensors are hooked up. the two in the back are "bunged" so they are not as far in the pipe as the first two are. that was done to decrease the amount of heat they saw based on the thought that if the cat's were there, they wouldn't see the amount of heat that the front ones saw and try to "fool" the brain.
as for the tune, unfortunately a buddy of mine bought the car at an auction, and i bought it from him. the word was that the previous owner put some 12grand into the engine and my guess is because of the mil problem got tired of it and sold the car. i can tell you this, i think it has been balanced as there is no engine vibration at all.. once the car warms up then there's no issue with the way the car runs, just trying to kill the mil.
your right, the mil eliminators aren't made for an 07....
last resort would be to install hi performance cats and hope that works.
bulldog
Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I would just buy a CAI and tuner from one of the big mustang websites like americanmuscle.com , brenspeed.com , vmptuning.com and have the rear 02's turned off. They can turn the car so the mil doesn't come on or just shut off the rear 02's since they are just there to check cat efficiency.

Does the car have the stock air box? Make another post with a picture of the engine. You may have a custom tune on the car all ready.

Quick Reply: trumpeting with pypes mid muffler and stock H?