Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why.Are.My.Brakes.Chirping?!!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Default Why.Are.My.Brakes.Chirping?!!?!

I had new brake pads and rotors (generics) put on my rears about 3 months ago. Not long after, I notice a squeak when braking. I take it and am given the runaround on it being the tire gel I use. I give them the benefit of the doubt and used some brake cleaner as they suggested. Next day? Still chirping. I take it back and have them grind the pad surfaces/corners. This helped for about 3 weeks. Now, it is doing it again. This time, I can even hear it when not braking. Really evident rolling slowly through parking lots and will even change tones when I tap the brakes. Where do I start now? I'm going to take it back in tomorrow and would like to have as much ammo in my corner as possible.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

next time don't buy cheap brakes..did they turn your rotors? have you tried breaking them in?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

i wonder if they using and brake lube on the contact point
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

***UPDATE***

I had new pads put on just about 2 weeks ago. In the days following, they were as silent as could be. Now, 2 weeks later, the sound is back. I can coast through a parking lot and hear them chirping even when I'm off the brakes. (For some reason, its also prominent when I'm coasting and turning at the same time.)

So what can I rule out? I'm hoping this isnt an axle issue. (I hydroplaned about 3 months ago and chewed up a wheel on a curb. The shop checked the alignment and checked for a bent axle but everything measured within Ford spec's.)

The shop put the same brand pads back on the car 2 weeks ago. My question is, how can it be the pads or the rotors when the noise is occurring without braking? Honestly, I just pray it isn't anything else so that I can remedy my problem with a nice set of slotted rotors and Hawk pads
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
***UPDATE***

I had new pads put on just about 2 weeks ago. In the days following, they were as silent as could be. Now, 2 weeks later, the sound is back. I can coast through a parking lot and hear them chirping even when I'm off the brakes. (For some reason, its also prominent when I'm coasting and turning at the same time.)

So what can I rule out? I'm hoping this isnt an axle issue. (I hydroplaned about 3 months ago and chewed up a wheel on a curb. The shop checked the alignment and checked for a bent axle but everything measured within Ford spec's.)

The shop put the same brand pads back on the car 2 weeks ago. My question is, how can it be the pads or the rotors when the noise is occurring without braking? Honestly, I just pray it isn't anything else so that I can remedy my problem with a nice set of slotted rotors and Hawk pads
Same thing happened to me when I had my 06. I was fishtailing in my subdivision while it was snowing and lost it. Went up a curb. The car was making loud high pitched metal-to-metal chirping sounds. Had the car in and out of the dealer for about 2 years after that, they changed everything that had to do with the brakes, the sound always came back. When they put a new rear axle in the sound was finally gone for good. Took about 6-8 trips to the dealership, and alot of me driving rentals.

However I didn't pay anything for something that was my fault, so it was worth it.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Do you by chance live on a gravel road? I seen small rocks get between the rotor and dust shield and make a racket. Ive also heard cheap pads make noise, even when driving.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Try filing down the squealers on the pads. Also look at having your axle bearings swapped.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Nope, no gravel for me. Was even worse on the drive in from work tonight. To really hear the sound, I got up to speed, went to neutral, and coasted all the way into the apartment complex. The sounds seem to 99% (to me) coming from the wheels, not under the car as I had earlier feared. When I hear it, all I have to do is barely tap the brakes and it quickly changes tone (gets higher pitched) and then goes silent. Step off the brake and it will usually start right back up.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011scgt
next time don't buy cheap brakes..did they turn your rotors? have you tried breaking them in?
Here is perfect answer don't buy cheap brakes!! Cheap things are cheap for a reason. Did you replace rotors or just pads? There are many reasons why they would chirp from not replacing proper parts, replacing them with cheap parts, bad labor.