Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Headers Ruined My Exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RADTech
So you guys with headers installed concur that race style straight-through, NON-chambered mufflers don't drone too bad? Is it mostly a factor of spending the money for a top of the line brand? Because the ones I've tried all suck but cost under $400.

I have m90, cams, longtubes, h pipe, no cats with m80s and cherrybomb glasspacks (which are straight through, you can see right through them) and finish with Nxt Step axlebacks which are also a straight through design. I have no drone and no trumpeting. Yes I can hear it when I drive but its not droning. The tone is VERY deep at idle and has a total muscle car tone at WOT.

Any resonator (ie m80, cherrybomb glasspacks etc) mid mounted will clean up your tone.

I loved my Flowmaster American Thunder axlebacks until I added the blower and lost the HF cats. It sounded overwhelmed by the amount of exhaust gas that the blower was producing. Had a horrible boat tone. Before the blower with HF cats it was awesome.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:16 AM
RADTech

Talking

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
When I was NA, with the stock H pipe, I had Corsa cat backs and really liked the sound quality. When I added LT headers and an offroad x pipe the sound changed completely and made the Corsa very raspy sounding. I tried about every system available and everything either didn't sound right or had terrible drone. I couldn't find the sound I wanted. Then I tried the Zoomers and they were great, sound is just what I want and no drone at all.

When I went with my turbos I was worried about what they would do to the sound quality but the Zoomers still sound great with my turbo setup.

Earl
Thanks Earl, your input has been very helpful and instrumental in my decision. we seem to have essentially the same setup and between the 2 of us we've probably tested about 10 mufflers. So I spoke with Frank over at Zoomers Performance Exhaust and not only did he assure me that their superior engineered mufflers would sound fantastic on my header equipped GT, but also they are in fact the performance muffler supplier for Salween Mustangs. So I'm taking a leap of faith with yet another set of mufflers, to the tune of $700.

I discussed with him the variations between the three S197 mufflers ( '05-'09, '10, and '11-'13). Since most 2010 Mustang owners use 05-09 mufflers, they don't have a jig specifically for a 2010. So he happily agreed to custom manufacture a pair of Zoomers at my request, which was what I was hoping for. He's now in the process of making a set with 05-10 hangers, 10-13 length tailpipes (which are 1" longer), but also, at my special request, straight-cut tips like the Bullitt and FR500S mufflers. The mufflers of my dreams! :-)

Pretty cool, eh? How many Stangs have custom-made performance mufflers? Now I'm totally psyched! Can't wait to get them!

Russ
Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

subbed, want to see and hear how they come out! pics and video when you get them please!

Just going to throw this out, and you can see plenty of videos if you take the link in my sig to my old car. BBK long tubes, BBK high flow catted X, Pypes violator mufflers. One of the cheapest setups you can get, great performance, sound, and zero drone. A little raspy at times, especialy when everything is cold, was going to add some Pypes mid mufflers and call it a day.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Earl, your input has been very helpful and instrumental in my decision. we seem to have essentially the same setup and between the 2 of us we've probably tested about 10 mufflers. So I spoke with Frank over at Zoomers Performance Exhaust and not only did he assure me that their superior engineered mufflers would sound fantastic on my header equipped GT, but also they are in fact the performance muffler supplier for Salween Mustangs. So I'm taking a leap of faith with yet another set of mufflers, to the tune of $700.

I discussed with him the variations between the three S197 mufflers ( '05-'09, '10, and '11-'13). Since most 2010 Mustang owners use 05-09 mufflers, they don't have a jig specifically for a 2010. So he happily agreed to custom manufacture a pair of Zoomers at my request, which was what I was hoping for. He's now in the process of making a set with 05-10 hangers, 10-13 length tailpipes (which are 1" longer), but also, at my special request, straight-cut tips like the Bullitt and FR500S mufflers. The mufflers of my dreams! :-)

Pretty cool, eh? How many Stangs have custom-made performance mufflers? Now I'm totally psyched! Can't wait to get them!

Russ
That's great to hear, Frank is a good guy. I think you will be very happy with them. They don't have a big name like Borla and such but they make a great product.

Earl
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
That's great to hear, Frank is a good guy. I think you will be very happy with them. They don't have a big name like Borla and such but they make a great product.

Earl
Borla stingers are pretty amazing though I had them on my 06 GT w/high flow cats and it was very nice. The new ones for mine should be delivered in a couple days and i'll install them then.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
0gmstucke

Hey guys, since I put headers and high flow converters on my 2010 GT I can't find the right mufflers that will give me a reasonably good roar when i step on it but won't drone like crazy.II've tried fat glass packs and then MAC mufflers both of which drone toooo loud. Then tried Bullitt mufflers but they were even more quiet than stock GT mufflers!

Doesn't anybody make mufflers that produce volume without the stupid droning??? Must I take out a second mortgage for some fancy shmancy designer mufflers? Remember, with the 2010 my choices are limited also.

FRP has a 2010 GT only version of the FR500. Does this drone with headers and high flow cats? It looks like a really fat glass pack with square cut tips. Is this a good choice for my requirements?
I currently have Borla S-type cat back and headers and I get compliments all the time about how my car sounds at idle it has a deep gurgle and is pretty quiet but stand on it and its screams and sounds amazing. That being said in order to get a deep sound the muffler companies restrict flow a little to do that which there is no way around it, it will cause drone. That being said autos are much worse for drone because with a stick you can get out of the RPM range where drone is created. Mine is a stick and at 65 MPH the only time i hear drone is when im using cruise control on the highway and I go up a slight incline and the computer starts adding a little bit of gas. But with the radio I do not notice it. The best way to avoid drone is have a very free flowing exhaust but you are trading drone for a very loud car at that point so its all about preference.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Any resonator (ie m80, cherrybomb glasspacks etc) mid mounted will clean up your tone.
I agree. I have Pypes muffler deletes (which are a pain in the butt to align with the bumper) and the sound was a bit too raspy, so I bought a pair of glasspacks and installed them right after the H pipe and the car sounds amazing. I get compliments all the time, and the best part is the 30 bucks I paid for both glasspacks.

If I can find a camera with a decent microphone I'll post a video.

Last edited by flash_xx; 10-08-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
I bought a pair of glasspacks and installed them right after the H pipe and the car sounds amazing.
I hear this from pretty much anyone who does it. Open up the exhaust to clear drone, no chambered mufflers, then add some mid mufflers to resonate the exhaust and give it some depth and gurgle back.