Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda or Barton?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda or Barton?

Getting ready to upgrade the sifter and have done a lot of research reading review after review. I have narrowed my choice down to either the Steeda or the Barton shifter. I know that all Barton owners will say the Barton is awesome and same for Steeda owners. I would to hear some reviews from people that have used or tried both. Any help or direction you
can provide will be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Speaking from experience MGW is the way to go.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

When you find your answer and its Steeda, email me at tim @ steeda.com and we can provide you with a forum discount.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Neither of them.

MGW is the KING of shifters.
They are literally in a different league and I'm not kidding.

Do some research on MGW and you will find out QUICKLY.

The MGW is SOLID, are QUIET as a mouse, no vibration.
The shifting is smooth as butter and if you EVER miss a gear you must be driving with your feet.
This is also the most ADJUSTABLE short throw you can get. PERIOD.
You can go from a 75-35 percent throw. If you want to change it, all it takes is a lift and twisting
a square bulb under the car.
You can even adjust the height of the shifter.

Usually I don't say which company has a better part mod for these cars since usually even with tight competition
of quality they have trade offs on what aspect is better. But with a short throw shifter it is different.
MGW has made every single aspect of their shifter to make it a better shifter than their competitors.
There is NO shifter out there that can beat the MGW.
Heck...I've sampled many REALLY good shifters, and when we had our 06GT we went with the MGW after
a long amount of sampling others.

This car is stock. But if we did have a shifter in it it would definitely be a MGW.
I can't even say there are any that COMPARE to the MGW.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-01-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I've heard nothing but great things about MGW but have never had one, I plan on it though as soon as I'm back.... However I've used a triax in my other Mustangs and it was great.. So if you don't want the MGW then the triax is what I would go with.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I literally CANNOT imagine why someone would not go with the MGW.

It would have to be that they had not tried one.
There's just no logical reason not to pick MGW.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
Getting ready to upgrade the sifter and have done a lot of research reading review after review. I have narrowed my choice down to either the Steeda or the Barton shifter. I know that all Barton owners will say the Barton is awesome and same for Steeda owners. I would to hear some reviews from people that have used or tried both. Any help or direction you
can provide will be appreciated.
Check out reviews on our shifter here: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-t...t-page-reviews
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Thanks, After seeing your replies, I googled MGW and found some really good install videos on the SVT site. The quality looks very good and they eliminated all the weaknesses of the OEM shifter. No offense to Steeda or Barton but after watching the MGW install videos, it looks like Steeda and Barton have good quality but only fix half the weaknesses by leaving half the factory setup. I believe I will go with MGW at this point. Just wish I could try them all before buying. Well I was unaware of MGW because this is my 1st Mustang and buying aftermarket parts for the mustang is new to me. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
Thanks, After seeing your replies, I googled MGW and found some really good install videos on the SVT site. The quality looks very good and they eliminated all the weaknesses of the OEM shifter. No offense to Steeda or Barton but after watching the MGW install videos, it looks like Steeda and Barton have good quality but only fix half the weaknesses by leaving half the factory setup. I believe I will go with MGW at this point. Just wish I could try them all before buying. Well I was unaware of MGW because this is my 1st Mustang and buying aftermarket parts for the mustang is new to me. Thanks for your help.
Since you seem to have made a decision, just wanted to let you know that I read on another post here that apparently MGW will install your shifter for free if you are willing to drive down to Augusta, GA... Might be worth planning a trip to Florida from VA with a stop off there to install it if you got the time...

Don
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I still plan on getting the triax, just need to settle up a couple of bills first to get it

Quick Reply: Steeda or Barton?