Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Built all motor 3V

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
0gmstucke

Cool Built all motor 3V

I have begun to get serious with the build of my car with all FRPP parts (I know there may be better stuff on the market but i want to keep it all Ford for a reason at least for the bolt-ons) and I have read articles where people have taken these to about 400 RWHP and 420 ish RWTQ. So my question is this. Has anyone gone this route with stock bottom end and valvetrain? If so has any issues came up? My build will include the following. FRPP TB,Intake,Bee hive ,Cams,Heads,Shelby fuel pump and injectors, then contemplating on a full Borla set-up for the exhaust, Comp-Cam valve beehive valve springs and a SPEC 2 clutch.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM
0gmstucke

To add on to this build list will also include MSD ignition and some NGK plugs
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

400 RWHP won't matter whether its FI or NA on a 05-09 or for that matter a '10 mustang. My '08 is cammed and blown at roughly 420 RWHP. I drive the snot out of it and have no problems. I'd say it comes to the tune as that is very important. Have a good tune and I would not worry at all about 400 rwhp. You won't need to worry about driveline, clutch, flywheel, block etc. until about 500 rwhp.
I have Roush supercharger, Steeda Cold Air, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, Ford Racing camshafts, Kenny Bell boost fuel pump (Highly recommend), Corsa x-pipe, Corsa Extreme Axlebacks, and a 93 race tune.

Last edited by Shift; 10-04-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Double posted by accident. Apologies. :/

May as well say that the boost fuel pumps helps in high rpm ranges with fueling. When the shop ran a dyno test on my car it used 97% fuel and they had to back off before finishing the run. After putting on the Kenny Bell pump it finished the dyno run at like 77%, so it may be a good idea to look into.

Last edited by Shift; 10-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM
0gmstucke

Well i realize that it doesnt matter FI or NA although it will be a much different power band. It seems people are split 50/50 on what these 3Vs are capable of so I was just wondering if someone had gone the same route that I am planning on going. I think I am going to try and get it to Brenspeed for a tune im currently in TX but am from IN and will be back there shortly. I appreciate the info though
Old 10-04-2012, 04:09 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0gmstucke
Well i realize that it doesnt matter FI or NA although it will be a much different power band. It seems people are split 50/50 on what these 3Vs are capable of so I was just wondering if someone had gone the same route that I am planning on going. I think I am going to try and get it to Brenspeed for a tune im currently in TX but am from IN and will be back there shortly. I appreciate the info though
Matt Dasilva built a nasty all motor 3v. He was over 400rwhp but he had livernoise stage 3 heads, comp 127500s, heavy duty oil pump ect. I don't remeber exactly what he ran but it was low 11s, I don't remember if he hit 10s with that setup. He also had a race wieght of around 3100lbs, reving to 7500k.

So it can be for you just have to decide what your going for.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

well, with NA you will probably want it to have a higher redline, so you may need rods and pistons before the 'magic' 450-500RWHP number. **** happens at high RPMs regardless of power levels.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0gmstucke
Why not ask brenspeed what they think? I don't think i'd put that much cash into the stock short block. I'd rather have a built/balance/blue printed, whatever the hell they call it motor. If you want to make big power without a blower, then you need more compression anyway. You might as well add a few cubes while you are at it.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
well, with NA you will probably want it to have a higher redline, so you may need rods and pistons before the 'magic' 450-500RWHP number. **** happens at high RPMs regardless of power levels.
Yep, I wouldn't try to spin the stock stuff that fast. I keep my redline stock.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Lol, over 400 wheel NA? Simple answer, you can do it, for a very short period of time on stock internall.. Going over 400 bossted, will last all day with no problems..

Quick Reply: Built all motor 3V