Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Won't Shift out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default Won't Shift out of Park

I know this has popped up a few times, but mine is a bit different. 2006 Auto GT. Cold weather came yesterday and with it came the inability to shift out of park. I futz with the shifter, smack it, click it, curse and plead, and after 5 or 10 minutes it'll come out of park.

The issues seems related to heat though. Hot summer, almost never happened. Cooler nights it would lock up but once the car warmed up, it wouldn't do it until the next day.

I've heard about the brake module that senses the brake pedal being down having a loose connection (i think on the board here, but one of the mustang boards, certainly) and that being the fix. And that could well be it. My question is two-fold.

One, where the heck is that thread? Dude had pictures and everything of the module. (Edit: Neutral Safety Switch)

Two, I can push the release button in on the (right) side of the shifter (base) (Edit: the button under the silver tab to manually bypass the lock) and it still will not release the shifter. Hold it down, jiggle jiggle, no joy. Is it possible that the little arm in the shifter that's locking it down is somehow the culprit, not the shifter module? And if so, is it possible for me to get at it and cut that ****** out?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by JFitz; 10-08-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The 'Brake Module" you are talking about is called a Nuetral Safety Switch.

There is a bypass for the auto located on the auto console itself. You'll see a silver oblong cover about an inch long to the right of the shifter on the inner trim ring, remove it with a flat head screwdrive and there is a white button under it. You can use your key to push it down. It will manually release your shifter if it's stuck.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Seraphim118
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFitz
I know this has popped up a few times, but mine is a bit different. 2006 Auto GT. Cold weather came yesterday and with it came the inability to shift out of park. I futz with the shifter, smack it, click it, curse and plead, and after 5 or 10 minutes it'll come out of park.

The issues seems related to heat though. Hot summer, almost never happened Cooler nights it would lock up but once the car warmed up, it wouldn't do it until the next day.

I've heard about the brake module that senses the brake pedal being down having a loose connection (i think on the board here, but one of the mustang boards, certainly) and that being the fix. And that could well be it. My question is two-fold.

One, where the heck is that thread? Dude had pictures and everything of the module.

Two, I can push the release button in on the side of the shifter and it still will not release the shifter. Hold it down, jiggle jiggle, no joy. Is it possible that the little arm in the shifter that's locking it down is somehow the culprit, not the shifter module? And if so, is it possible for me to get at it and cut that ****** out?

Thanks guys.
Are you parked on an incline? With the front of the car lower than the rear?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Seraphim118
Are you parked on an incline? With the front of the car lower than the rear?
Good question actually.

If you don't use your e-brake on inclines and just let the car rest on the parking pawl the weight from the car could be locking up on that pawl which would take a lot of effort to move it out of Park. It will also eventually damage/break that pawl and you will end up with pieces inside of your tranny.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

OK, I should clarify. (And I'll go back to edit this in.) I typed it too quickly to explain that the "button on the side of the shifter" i was talking about IS the release. Pull up the silver tab, press down. Doesn't do it. Key in, key out, doesn't make a difference. This is why I'm confused.

Also, I'm not parked on an incline, but I always use my e-brake to keep the free play open when I leave the car. I just hate that feeling of tension when I shift back out so I've just developed that habit.

Edit* I just went the dentist and back. Car was warmed up, but its still cool outside. Was locked for about 5 seconds and a good smack got it to release. I should mention my foot is always on the brake when I'm messing with the shifter.

Last edited by JFitz; 10-08-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I looked in the Owners Manual to see if there was anything that might help you and found this:

Brake-shift interlock
This vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature that prevents the gearshift lever from being moved from P (Park) when the ignition is in the ON position unless the brake pedal is depressed. If you cannot move the gearshift lever out of P (Park) with ignition in the ON position and the brake pedal depressed:

1. Apply the parking brake, turn ignition key to LOCK, then remove the
key.
2. Using a flat head screwdriver, remove the plastic cover.
3. Insert the ignition key and push it
straight down to release the
interlock.
4. Apply the parking brake, then shift to N (Neutral).
5. Start the vehicle.

If it is necessary to use the above procedure to move the gearshift lever, it is possible that a fuse has blown or the vehicle’s brakelamps are not operating properly. Refer to Fuses and relays in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.

Looks like you've tried what it refers to but were you aware of the IF statement?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, first thing I checked when I read about the neutral safety switch was the the brake lights lit up. I didn't check fuses because what are the odds the ONE thing has a fuse all by itself.

But I'll check that now. I plan on putting a TCI shifter in, but I can't afford it at the moment.

EDIT* NOPE no fuse blown. The 10amp fuse in position 15 is good.

Last edited by JFitz; 10-08-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 AM
u2olivia

Default Mine too

Yeah, first thing I checked when I read about the neutral safety switch was the the brake lights lit up. I didn't check fuses because what are the odds the ONE thing has a fuse all by itself.

But I'll check that now. I plan on putting a TCI shifter in, but I can't afford it at the moment.

EDIT* NOPE no fuse blown. The 10amp fuse in position 15 is good.

Mine does the same thing and I've tried every thing you have. Please let me know if anything fixes yours!!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

I ran the car under a pickup truck and totalled it. Then I bought a new one...

Upside, NO MORE INTERLOCK ISSUE!

I suspected the neutral safety switch. Never got the chance to dig further into it.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:19 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I ran the car under a pickup truck and totalled it. Then I bought a new one...

Upside, NO MORE INTERLOCK ISSUE!

I suspected the neutral safety switch. Never got the chance to dig further into it.
Well that's one way to fix the issue... haha

Quick Reply: Won't Shift out of Park