Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which axle back is best???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

I bought mine with Pypes Bomb on it and it was VERY LOUD. I did not like them at all. I bought AT Flowmasters and love them.

I would go around to as many as you can hear in person and see what you like. The "best" will be different to everyone. Kind of like asking what brand oil is best. You will get plenty of opinions.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:30 PM
JD_GTCS

Originally Posted by scottw2010
I bought mine with Pypes Bomb on it and it was VERY LOUD. I did not like them at all. I bought AT Flowmasters and love them.

I would go around to as many as you can hear in person and see what you like. The "best" will be different to everyone. Kind of like asking what brand oil is best. You will get plenty of opinions.

Do you get drone from your Flowmaster ATs? Mine drone horribly from 1900-2000 rpm which puts me right in the zone for commuter traffic around here. Considering stepping down to a set of 2011-12 GT500 axle backs, but don't want to spend the extra money for something that drones too.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:44 PM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

I get drone below 15-1700. It is the worse in a slow 5th gear. Once I'm over 60 in 5th, there is nothing. If I"m doing 50 and hit the gas (just to speed up), there is too much drone. Overall, they are good. I like the sound myself. The Pypes were just unbearable. I guess I'm getting too old but they sounded like an obnoxious sounding rice burner to me.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 PM
HG6283

Check out the Borla Touring mufflers. No drone. Deep old-school sound.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J.Lopez
Im thinking about replacing my Flowmaster axlebacks. Right now I have 3 options.
1. Pypes Pype Bomb (Muffler Delete)
2. SLP Loudmouths
3. Flowmaster Outlaws
I have Kooks headers and a Cam (dont know exactly which, since i havent contacted the owner). But I want a deeper and of course louder sound. I will also eventually buy Pypes High Flow Cats. I heard the deletes also pop quite a bit? Whatta y'all think???
I am a flowmaster guy, but you gotta enjoy drone and they produce drone at 2000 rpm, but I went Pypes on my last run, wasn't loud enough for me, so since I just picked up a 2013 today, I am doing flowmaster 40 series.

The outlaws are nice but the sound isn't as muscle car as I like it sounds like some with bad gass from Turkey Dinner.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by J.Lopez
Im thinking about replacing my Flowmaster axlebacks. Right now I have 3 options.
1. Pypes Pype Bomb (Muffler Delete)
2. SLP Loudmouths
3. Flowmaster Outlaws
I have Kooks headers and a Cam (dont know exactly which, since i havent contacted the owner). But I want a deeper and of course louder sound. I will also eventually buy Pypes High Flow Cats. I heard the deletes also pop quite a bit? Whatta y'all think???
No one can answer which is best it's personal preference.

Just unbolt your mufflers to see how it sounds if you like the sound level go with loudmouths, if you want it quiter go with the pypebombs...had them on my blown 06 with kooks LTs. Best sounding exhaust on a 3v IMO.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Stock mufflers.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

Check out the Roush ABs. Nice and loud when you want it, quiet when you don't. And I have no drone at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM
jasontrucks76

I just ordered a set of Bassani axel backs as I have had great luck with Bassani with the Harleys having a very nice low rumble without popping and no tinny sound.

I am expecting them to show up UPS in the next few days. I will be happy to post my results when I get them on. I agree with most that how something sounds is very subjective. I am just looking for that old school low V-8 rumble at idle and normal driving and a hell-of-a wake up at WOT.

Please post back with your decision and what you think of them! I bet I spend 2 or 3 hours listening to sound clips of several different exhaust setup before landing on the Bassani...???
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Synar
1st Gear Member

For me, i got axelback magnaflow magnapack, just like you i love deep sound, at idle its very nice, WOT is superb. No drone at all, and quiet inside, i drive a convertible and hardly hear the diff w/ stock, but from behind the sound is great ( had my wife driving it and follow here ) remember that 4.6L and 5.0L don't sound the alike with the same muffler. Every Friday night at the local mustang club meet we are over 200 mustang, i used to be the first to arrive and heard them all coming in the parking and for awkward reason most of them always give a little more throttle So when i love a exhaust note, just went and ask what set up the guy had, much better then sound clips.
Ps; Exhaust note is like blonde's & brunettes .......... there all nice, just depends on your taste

Quick Reply: Which axle back is best???