Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch help

Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by U R 11 5
I tried the jacking up the car trick a few times and it didn't help which is why I took to ford so they can bleed it with their vacuum pump thing. I replaced the slave and now the master so the tech said my hydraulic system is 100% working.

I have a superior clutch. A guy out of San Jose makes them. He sells them all over the country. My tuner sells them and so does the local speed shop. I ran his clutch when I had my V6 on nitrous no problems.

My car is a V8(4.6) with the V8 trans.
I know what clutch that is and its a pile of junk. A friend of mine making around 550 rwhp had that guy put in three of his clutches and none of them worked properly. He had to get a Mcleod. Problem solved.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 AM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

From what this guy told me he doesnt do installs. He sells them to shops, speed shops, race teams but he said he doesnt install them. Maybe he did tho. Idk he comes high recommended but i think im going with the Spec3+ clutch Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by Simon1
I know what clutch that is and its a pile of junk. A friend of mine making around 550 rwhp had that guy put in three of his clutches and none of them worked properly. He had to get a Mcleod. Problem solved.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

From what this guy told me he doesnt do installs. He sells them to shops, speed shops, race teams but he said he doesnt install them. Maybe he did tho. Idk he comes high recommended but i think im going with the Spec3+ clutch Thanks for the help
Unless you need a clutch that can handle 800 ft lbs of torque, i'd steer clear of the spec 3+. It's streetable, but it's still a very on/off clutch and not something I'd want to drive in traffic with. If you just want to save some money, the spec stage 2 is a very streetable clutch, not to be confused with the 2+, which several people have had problems with disengagement.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:40 PM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

Ya i don't need that much but I want that on/off feel. I love the feel of a race clutch. Plus once i build my motor i will need that much. Although when I do that ill have the different crank which is 8 bolt i think instead of stock 6 bolt. And I also want to go with the TR-6060 which ill need a different clutch then too. So maybe ill wait and do it all at once

Originally Posted by moosestang
Unless you need a clutch that can handle 800 ft lbs of torque, i'd steer clear of the spec 3+. It's streetable, but it's still a very on/off clutch and not something I'd want to drive in traffic with. If you just want to save some money, the spec stage 2 is a very streetable clutch, not to be confused with the 2+, which several people have had problems with disengagement.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

That's exactly what he told my buddy. You are putting in a part that can make your car drive awesome and be a dream to shift or make you have so many problems all you can do to fix it is get another clutch.

I think if you choose the clutch you are looking at, you should change your name to, "I M 11 5".
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

Haha I was looking at the spec stage 2 clutch and the TQ rating is too low(520) If that is at the motor I'm already there. Id rather have more clutch available then not enough. Its only around $100 more for the spec stage 3+. Im not done with modding this car so a think a stronger clutch will be better. On american muscle they say its very streetable but like I said I like the on/off feel of a race clutch.

Maybe Ill change it to I M 11 5 lol

That's exactly what he told my buddy. You are putting in a part that can make your car drive awesome and be a dream to shift or make you have so many problems all you can do to fix it is get another clutch.

I think if you choose the clutch you are looking at, you should change your name to, "I M 11 5".
Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Anyone on this board or any other making 500+ horsepower will jump up and down and insist on nothing but the RST. Almost stock feel, holds 800 hp,
Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Anyone on this board or any other making 500+ horsepower will jump up and down and insist on nothing but the RST. Almost stock feel, holds 800 hp, quiet, no maintence, easier on the slave cylinder, lasts a long time.

I have heard very good things about the spec 3+. But after dealing with Specs customer service, I will never be a customer of theirs.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Anyone on this board or any other making 500+ horsepower will jump up and down and insist on nothing but the RST. Almost stock feel, holds 800 hp, quiet, no maintence, easier on the slave cylinder, lasts a long time.

I have heard very good things about the spec 3+. But after dealing with Specs customer service, I will never be a customer of theirs.
+1 to everything above. I had a SPEC and it performed well enough considering the hell I put it through, but during install I called SPEC for support. Long story short, they thought I was calling because I had a problem with the clutch (which I didn't) and became so defensive that I got shut down before I even got to ask my question. I have a McLeod RXT now. No problems.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Haha I was looking at the spec stage 2 clutch and the TQ rating is too low(520) If that is at the motor I'm already there. Id rather have more clutch available then not enough. Its only around $100 more for the spec stage 3+. Im not done with modding this car so a think a stronger clutch will be better. On american muscle they say its very streetable but like I said I like the on/off feel of a race clutch.

Maybe Ill change it to I M 11 5 lol

It's streetable, as in I drive it on the street, but I'll replace it with a stage 2 next time if I'm still at this power level. The stage 2 is very streetable. I could let it out very slowly in reverse and it will back out of my driveway with no gas, no fuss, no muss, nothing. Try that with the stage 3+ and the car will shake to pieces. You can start from a stop smoothly with the 3+, but it's like walking a tight rope. You'lve got to do it just right or you'll get that slip/grap/slip/grap feeling that sucks.

On Specs website, they list the stage 2 at 599 ft lbs. I'm not sure why american muscle still lists it at 520. If you're making over 599 ft lbs at the crank, then you'll be buying a new clutch to go with your new engine soon anyway.

Whatever you buy, buy the flywheel to go with it. I would not try to resurface the stock flywheel, especially if it's been slipping. You can not remove hot spots from a flywheel. I like the spec billet steel flywheel because for $70 you can replace the friction disc and you have a new flywheel every time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch help