Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Islands

Originally Posted by Nuke
I ran a poll about a year or so ago and approximately 75% of the forum members appear to be running non-OE tunes.
Sorry, lost me again! were you saying 75% said they had tuned their car?

Also do you guys reccomend AM's combo I mentioned above, or would I be better off buying them seperate? It's pretty much plug and play right? I install the CAI, then plug that little bama power thing into my cars computer and pick which tune I want? Or will I have to know like fuel ratios and air ratios or whatever. Also is it cool to tune a daily driver? My cars already up to 60k and its bone stock, do I still got a long enough life left in the vehicle worth tuning? Thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Yes, most people on the S197 sections of the forum have their cars aftermarket tuned (usually from BAMA, or Brenspeed, maybe a few VMP).

The combo you mentioned above is fine, most CAIs are going to net you the same gains as long as they are the ones recommended by AM and from good companies (steeda, BBK, etc.) The tuner is plug and play, you order it and pick what octane tunes you want, AM will send you the tuner with the tunes already loaded onto the device, and you just follow the directions to upload the tune once you have your CAI installed.

A 1.5 hour job tops. But make sure you clean out your throttle body while installing your new CAI, as this will allow you to get better throttle response, and decrease the chances of the tune messing up your idle. (cleaning the TB is also like a 5 minute job, you can find videos all over the internet)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:28 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s...ut-tuners.html
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Islands

157db what's that for? I don't even have a v6
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Is there any difference in what CAI you get? I like the Ford racing one also the Steeda. Also I see Brenspeed and American muscle give different tuners in there combos is one any better than the other?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HKSkook
Is there any difference in what CAI you get? I like the Ford racing one also the Steeda. Also I see Brenspeed and American muscle give different tuners in there combos is one any better than the other?
It's really just a matter of personal preference. The main thing is to go with a reputable tuner. 85-90% of your power is in the tune. The CAI just maximizes it. Most use the SCT programmer. I do. I have the the Steeda Ultimate combo on my Mustang and could not be happier. It is a very driveable tune with gobs of power.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

There is definitely a difference in what CAI you choose. Where it is made, the materials, where those materials come from, how it is made, the engineering and testing that went into the design and development, price, etc.

Our parts are made in the USA with parts from the USA. We back them by a lifetime warranty. Our CAI has a bell mouthed entry called a Velocity Stack that helps smooth the incoming air to promote better airflow as well as smooth airflow to ensure proper MAF readings. It also seals to the underside of the hood using actual CAD data directly from Ford. We have a close relationship with Ford via the Technology Transfer Program. Steeda is also ISO 9001:2008 certified (we actually just passed re-certification again yesterday), which is basically a quality certification stating we consistently make high-quality parts (few in the industry can say such).

Let me know if I can help you with anything.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
There is definitely a difference in what CAI you choose. Where it is made, the materials, where those materials come from, how it is made, the engineering and testing that went into the design and development, price, etc.

Our parts are made in the USA with parts from the USA. We back them by a lifetime warranty. Our CAI has a bell mouthed entry called a Velocity Stack that helps smooth the incoming air to promote better airflow as well as smooth airflow to ensure proper MAF readings. It also seals to the underside of the hood using actual CAD data directly from Ford. We have a close relationship with Ford via the Technology Transfer Program. Steeda is also ISO 9001:2008 certified (we actually just passed re-certification again yesterday), which is basically a quality certification stating we consistently make high-quality parts (few in the industry can say such).

I wont lie made in America is a plus for me for sure! I like the Steeda Kit alot and after your post am leaning that way. As far as the Bama or SCT tuner are there any pros/cons for either model? Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I wont lie made in America is a plus for me for sure! I like the Steeda Kit alot and after your post am leaning that way. As far as the Bama or SCT tuner are there any pros/cons for either model? Thanks everyone for the responses.
The SCT is the tuning device. The tuners are the ones who create the files and download them to the device. You then plug the device to your OBD port, follow the instructions. You transfer your stock PCM strategy to the device which then uploads the new tune files to your PCM. At that point your device is "married" to that vehicle. Different custom tuners develope different tunes. I my self am sold on Steeda. The others AM, Brenspeed, etc. are just as good. The Steeda tune is just my personal preference. I really like it a lot.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon

I wasn't aware that Steeda had those ISO Certs!? Good to know!

The company I work for also has those certs and they are important at maintaining a high build quality and maintaining a method to address customer complaints as related to improve overall product quality. You cannot deviate from the quality process outlined by ISO and your approved ISO process without documenting it (paper trail). Makes it harder to get "bad batches" of products.

Hmm, that will weigh-in heavily on my next round of purchases which will happen to be suspension parts

Quick Reply: CAI Help