Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HKSkook
Thats good info thanks. It wont be a problem because I only run 93 octane anyway. The guy at Steeda told me once I get the tuner plug it in and it will give a code. Once I get that call Steeda and they will Email me a tune. Pretty excited from what everyone says you can feel the difference so I cant wait. My question is more if I put on underdrive pulleys and say longtube headers down the road will Steeda charge me for a new tune? If so howmuch do they cost?
That's a good question. I am not familiar with Steeda, however from what I've read American Muscle offers free tunes for life. In a nutshell, if you upgrade your Mustang and need a new tune, they will email you one for free.
As far as Brenspeed, I think I would have to purchase the products from them, then they would provide me with a new custom tune for free.
Yes, you will feel an immediate change in performance, once the custom tune is loaded!
Check with the rep at Steeda. I am sure they will clarify everything. ;-)

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-27-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

When you folow the steps they tell you to, it will give you the ECM read strategy code. They then build the tune to that. Yes you WILL feel the difference I guarantee you!

Edit; Kevin if I have never told you, that is a good looking Mustang.

Last edited by mapitts; 11-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
When you folow the steps they tell you to, it will give you the ECM read strategy code. They then build the tune to that. Yes you WILL feel the difference I guarantee you!

Awesome thanks guys, cant wait!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Yes, most people on the S197 sections of the forum have their cars aftermarket tuned (usually from BAMA, or Brenspeed, maybe a few VMP).

The combo you mentioned above is fine, most CAIs are going to net you the same gains as long as they are the ones recommended by AM and from good companies (steeda, BBK, etc.) The tuner is plug and play, you order it and pick what octane tunes you want, AM will send you the tuner with the tunes already loaded onto the device, and you just follow the directions to upload the tune once you have your CAI installed.

A 1.5 hour job tops. But make sure you clean out your throttle body while installing your new CAI, as this will allow you to get better throttle response, and decrease the chances of the tune messing up your idle. (cleaning the TB is also like a 5 minute job, you can find videos all over the internet)
1.5hrs!?!???? More like 15 minutes...don't scare him off
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HKSkook
Awesome thanks guys, cant wait!
Much quicker throttle response. Don't know if you have an auto or manual. The power band will be far more pronounced and not quite as peaky. The 4.6 is by no means a slouch, it just does not come alive until around 3500. Tuning will flatten that out with more on the bottom end making just everyday driving a lot more fun. When asked to it will come alive! A tuner / CAI should be the VERY FIRST mod done to a Mustang. Nuke ran a poll a while back. I think he come up with about 70% on this forum was running a custom tune of some kind. Congrats man!!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Much quicker throttle response. Don't know if you have an auto or manual. The power band will be far more pronounced and not quite as peaky. The 4.6 is by no means a slouch, it just does not come alive until around 3500. Tuning will flatten that out with more on the bottom end making just everyday driving a lot more fun. When asked to it will come alive! A tuner / CAI should be the VERY FIRST mod done to a Mustang. Nuke ran a poll a while back. I think he come up with about 70% on this forum was running a custom tune of some kind. Congrats man!!
Thanks man. Its a manual its not my everyday driver so it had to be a stick!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Talking Thanks, Mapitts!

Thanks, Mapitts!