Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I expect frame damage from this accident?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

it's entirely possible and they may try to stick you with something like that, but if you at least bring up the question they may fear losing the business and start busting some *** to get the ball rolling.

some of these shops really drop the ball once they feel they've secured the job ... at this point they should be wrapped up or wrapping up the job!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
it's entirely possible and they may try to stick you with something like that, but if you at least bring up the question they may fear losing the business and start busting some *** to get the ball rolling.

some of these shops really drop the ball once they feel they've secured the job ... at this point they should be wrapped up or wrapping up the job!
Alright, I'll see what they say when I bring that up. Honestly, the way I see it, if the customer service isn't great, than how can I expect the mechanics to be taking care of my car and fixing it properly.

I don't want to get the car back, only for my 7 month year old car to feel different than before the accident...thanks truely my only main concern.

I tried searching some reviews of the work they've done, but I cannot find any reviews either. I can only hope that the shop is competent enough to execute the fix properly.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

+1 on moving the car if you don't have a feeling of confidence with the current body shop.

There some big issues they should have resolved by now:

**Check Front Suspension, measure before attempting alignment**
**Align 4 wheels**
**Diagnose Rear Axle**
**Diagnose Rear Axle Binding**

Until the above is done, you don't have much to go on about the straightness of your car.

157dB is correct that the car doesn't have a frame in the traditional sense of the word. The car I had repaired was the same type of unibody construction. He is also correct that there are few adjustments available. If needed, a competent shop can return it to perfect alignment, but I also agree that it looks like it is fine.

Why is your insurance company not working harder to get this resolved? Maybe get a rental car..my insurance company was breathing hard down my neck after just 5 days of rentals!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:59 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

All the parts did not arrive, so they parked my car outside to save space, allowing me to actually closely look at my car. I spent 1 hour looking at my car, then I noticed something that really got my very, and I mean very nervous.

I went to the drivers side of the car, and I ran my finger from the line on the door towards the front quarter panel. I noticed that the the front quarter panel was slightly raised, and not flush, with the door.

I went over to the passenger side, ran my finger from the line of the door to the quarter panel, and it was flush.

I then checked the spacing between the front quarter panel and the hood on the drivers side, stuck a key in between the space and I was able to fit the key in.

I of course went over to the passenger side, tried doing the same thing sticking in a key between the space of the quarter panel and hood, and I was not able to fit a key through the space.

So basically, in my opinion, the driver side quarter panel is not flush, with the door. It seems to be raised compared to the door. This is strange since the main impact of the accident was the passenger side.

Should this suggest that the body of the car, the unibody, has been misaligned and damaged?

DRIVERS SIDE QUARTER PANEL AND DOOR

PASSENGER SIDE QUARTER PANEL AND DOOR

Should this suggest that the body of the car, the unibody, has been misaligned and damaged?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

do you really think smacking a curb with your tires is going to cause your fenders and doors to not line up? These cars are not perfect from the factory. Nobody is rolling a ball bearing down the body lines like that german car commercial.

Do you have rental insurance? I learned the hard way that the body shop will take their sweet time if your insurance company isn't footing the bill for a rental car.

I would call your insurance adjuster and complain about the shop taking their sweet time. The insurance company has way more leverage than you do.

I had my car repaired by auto crafters and they freaking suck! They didn't even paint the bottom edge of my door and it's starting to rust!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
do you really think smacking a curb with your tires is going to cause your fenders and doors to not line up? These cars are not perfect from the factory. Nobody is rolling a ball bearing down the body lines like that german car commercial.

Do you have rental insurance? I learned the hard way that the body shop will take their sweet time if your insurance company isn't footing the bill for a rental car.

I would call your insurance adjuster and complain about the shop taking their sweet time. The insurance company has way more leverage than you do.

I had my car repaired by auto crafters and they freaking suck! They didn't even paint the bottom edge of my door and it's starting to rust!!!!!!!
So the gaps are okay? I tried to find all the pictures I had of my car, zoomed up and before the accident, to the best of my ability of the pixilated zooms, I didn't really see the same gap.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Having looked at the fit on the impact side, I think you are in great shape. The body shop is doing you a disservice in making you wait because you have had all this time to start worrying, as I did.

When I got my car back I checked it out so carefully that I noticed some handling flaws it always had. Fortunately, I trusted the shop and with time discovered that it handled as well as ever, it didn't wear the tires funny, and over the years, had no breakdowns related to the crash. This from a car that should have been totaled! Your car is way better off than that!

Relax. rent a car on your insurance company, move the car if you need to, and know that you will have a great mustang in your driveway soon.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Yank it and take somewhere else. If the insurance company recommended them, and you're not satisifed they will not only get it done, but even may move to their other certified shops.

My 2000 GT took 2 months to completely rebuild. I hit the center divider wall on the PA turnpike in March 2002. K-Rails were bent over to almost 90 degrees.

Front clip replacement, tie rods, steeing rack, hood fenders bumper driver and passenger mirror (shop dropped the passenger mirror) Motor and tranny pulled, interior dismantled. When it was all said and done the repair jobs was over $17,000 and the insurance company ended up totaling it when I threw a fit about the steering issues, and having to have the car reshot because of a poor blend, this was one of thier certified repair facilities.

In the end they put the car back together ($17,000) paid for a reshoot, and then totaled it cutting a check for $21,000 and change I think it was.

The frame work when doing a complete front rebuild is risky, but the guy did get it straight it was remeasured, he even had a tool to make it look like factory welds.

But in the end with the steering problems, and my complaining the insurance company took care of it.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GearHead5Point0
All the parts did not arrive, so they parked my car outside to save space, allowing me to actually closely look at my car. I spent 1 hour looking at my car, then I noticed something that really got my very, and I mean very nervous.

I went to the drivers side of the car, and I ran my finger from the line on the door towards the front quarter panel. I noticed that the the front quarter panel was slightly raised, and not flush, with the door.

I went over to the passenger side, ran my finger from the line of the door to the quarter panel, and it was flush.

I then checked the spacing between the front quarter panel and the hood on the drivers side, stuck a key in between the space and I was able to fit the key in.

I of course went over to the passenger side, tried doing the same thing sticking in a key between the space of the quarter panel and hood, and I was not able to fit a key through the space.

So basically, in my opinion, the driver side quarter panel is not flush, with the door. It seems to be raised compared to the door. This is strange since the main impact of the accident was the passenger side.

DRIVERS SIDE QUARTER PANEL AND DOOR

PASSENGER SIDE QUARTER PANEL AND DOOR

For the record, my 2011 GT premium I just traded had a bigger gap between door and fender, and the lines were off by a hair, noticeable but the car was never wrecked.

Fender straightening is easy, if the Insurance company noted it, it will be done. if they didn't show them a picture and say, this wasn't like this, and they will add it in.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You don't have any body structure damage.
Like Moose said, you can't get your frame rails busted by hitting a curb and destroying your wheels...
Those cars are collision strong and even the toughest in their class.
As far as the misalignment, if it wasn't there before, it's due to the jolt of the impact.
Your fender will realign just fine.

Quick Reply: Should I expect frame damage from this accident?