Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How low have you taken your gas level?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

My original time for doing it was just too see consumption versus reading, haven't done it since, won't do it again.

I did it when the car was new, before multiple fillups pushing god knows what into my fuel system
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The onboard isn't accurate ans even if you reset it at each fill-up, it's basing it's calcs on your consumption data from that previous tank (which could be very different than the current tank).
That does not agree w/ the published information in the Owner' Guide.

According to the Owner's Guide, "Distance to empty is calculated using a running average fuel economy, which is based on your recent driving history of 500 miles (800 km). This value is not the same as the average fuel economy display."
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
My original time for doing it was just too see consumption versus reading
That is not required.

My fuel log has entries for every fuel fill, w/ manual data for: odometer; trip; gallons; cost; vehicle MPG and date. The log then calculates: actual MPG; running average MPG; difference between trip sum and odometer; $ per mile; $ per gallon and miles per day.

On my vehicle the vehicle MPG, displayed on the dash, is always ½ MPG to 1 MPG lower than the calculated MPG, miles driven divided by miles travelled.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

19 miles PAST "0 to empty"
16.41 gallons on refill

Not proud of it
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
19 miles PAST "0 to empty"
16.41 gallons on refill

Not proud of it
1/4 tank is my limit on the road. 1/2 tank in town. Fuel cools the pump. Replaced a few tank mounted pumps, including one on a Bronco I had. I bought the thing for next to nothing from someone who needed cash more than the Bronco. Must have spent a lot of time with a 1/4 tank or less in it. Fuel pump went out in my driveway ( thank God ) with 38 gallons more or less in it. That was a beast to get out & down by myself. With 6 inches of lift, I was a jacking and cribbing fool. That is the number one reason for my limits stated above. Just my 2 cents worth. I never trust the lie-o-meter. Some times my wife leans on her SUV's LOM like it is a finely tuned / calibrated piece of electronic equipment. Not gaining any ground there.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
1/4 tank is my limit on the road. 1/2 tank in town. Fuel cools the pump. Replaced a few tank mounted pumps, including one on a Bronco I had. I bought the thing for next to nothing from someone who needed cash more than the Bronco. Must have spent a lot of time with a 1/4 tank or less in it. Fuel pump went out in my driveway ( thank God ) with 38 gallons more or less in it. That was a beast to get out & down by myself. With 6 inches of lift, I was a jacking and cribbing fool. That is the number one reason for my limits stated above. Just my 2 cents worth. I never trust the lie-o-meter. Some times my wife leans on her SUV's LOM like it is a finely tuned / calibrated piece of electronic equipment. Not gaining any ground there.
I can't imagine replacing a fuelpump in a gastank with 38 gallons of gas in it.

my sympathies to ya.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Fuel pump went out in my driveway ( thank God ) with 38 gallons more or less in it.
A low-tech siphon, a gas can and another vehicle to accept the gas makes life much easier...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingless
A low-tech siphon, a gas can and another vehicle to accept the gas makes life much easier...
Unfortunately everthing I had was full of gas and I was about 20 gas cans too short. Give me enough cribbing and a lifting / raising device of some sort, and I can drop and raise just about anything. The only time the gas tank was open was when it was on the ground. Could not have happened at a worse time. Luckily it was at least in the driveway so I had concrete to work on.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 AM
'13_ImpactBlue_GT

When the "low fuel" message comes up.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 AM
rangerfx405
2nd Gear Member

Half a tank

Quick Reply: How low have you taken your gas level?