Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How low have you taken your gas level?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I went to "35 miles to empty" just this morning. It is a 16 gallon tank and when you reach 0 miles to empty it takes about 14 gallons to fill up. So maybe the 2 extra gallons are Ford's way of protecting the fuel pump? I've never worried about that before but based on this thread I am now. I regularly wait until the warning appears because I don't like having to stop and top off any more than I have to.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Once I took it to 0 Miles Until Empty, not by choice, btw... then had to drive it another 10 or so until I found a gas station.

I normally fill 'er up,( after about 5 or so false gas pump shut offs... drives the attendants nuts!) then take it to 20 miles until empty or so once a week.

Sometimes my fuel gauge turns red at 10 miles until empty, sometimes it doesn't, but I rarely get to that point anyway.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
19 miles PAST "0 to empty"
16.41 gallons on refill
Wow! That is 0.4 gallons more than the specified capacity and 0.9 gallons more than I've ever squeezed into mine. That is running on fumes of fumes...

Here is mine running on the reserve, w/ the gauges changed to red.

Name:  0MilestoEmpty.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  44.2 KB
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 AM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Filled up to 14.3 gallons at this point

Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I typically top off at half tank, but every now and then if I go on a long drive, I wind up letting it get down to quarter tank.

The absolute lowest I ever got to is zero; I mean not even fumes.
I just got my feet out, walked to the gas station about 2 miles down, bought a plastic gas can & a gal of gas so I can drive it to the pump.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I also usually top off at 1/2 tank. I have taked mine to 0 miles where the light in the gas gauge turns red.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I typically top off at half tank, but every now and then if I go on a long drive, I wind up letting it get down to quarter tank.

The absolute lowest I ever got to is zero; I mean not even fumes.
I just got my feet out, walked to the gas station about 2 miles down, bought a plastic gas can & a gal of gas so I can drive it to the pump.
Zero as in 0 miles to empty on the cluster? Or your vehicle just stopped because the tank was literally empty?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:16 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

To zero before. I tend to look at the gallons used to determine where I'm at, I will automatically fill up if it reaches 14.5 gallons used.

I remember waiting until it was down to 15 gallons used, and I remember driving up a slight hill, and the car started to stall. Come to the realization that was stupid of me, especially since my fuel pump could be sucking up all that gunk at the bottom of the gas tank and overheating.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WesleyEng.com
Zero as in 0 miles to empty on the cluster? Or your vehicle just stopped because the tank was literally empty?
Yep. Drove until my gas gauge needle was less than "E" and my car stopped going "vroom vroom" LOL

I know this is horrible on the fuel pumps, but that was my fault.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Yep. Drove until my gas gauge needle was less than "E" and my car stopped going "vroom vroom" LOL

I know this is horrible on the fuel pumps, but that was my fault.
I've done this too. ONCE. Had roadside assistance come hook me up w/ a gallon. I was on my way to the gas station that is about 2 miles away and ran out heading down a hill. Coasted to get on the shoulder and made the call. Took 'em about an hour to show up.

This was totally MY Fault as I should have stopped for gas as soon as I left the house, but I was late for class.

My fuel light comes on at least once a week. I usually put fuel in it once it gets to "25 miles to E".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How low have you taken your gas level?