Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whats my next step?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Default Whats my next step?

Ok so I got my Steeda CAI with a tuner. I love it. Love the sound after 4000 RPM. So my question is whats a good next step? Underdrive pulleys? Long tube headers? Gears? I am kinda thinking underdrive pulleys.

BTW My car already has a axle back exhaust.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:01 AM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

What's your long term goals? If you are gonna supercharge,don't bother with the pulleys.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

More info needed...
Manual or A/T?
Current gear (should be on a sticker on rear differencial cover)
Long term plans as stated above. Supercharging down the road effects all these choices.
Daily driver or track car?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 AM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
More info needed...
Manual or A/T?
Current gear (should be on a sticker on rear differencial cover)
Long term plans as stated above. Supercharging down the road effects all these choices.
Daily driver or track car?
Its a manual
3:55
Dont think supercharging will happen
Its a toy. Not my daily driver but will probally never see a quater mile.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Ok...underdrives are not a bad option, however you will not see much in the line of a performance gain. When I installed mine, I did it at the same time I did my gear.
That would probably be my recommendation at this point...gear with udp's.
4.10's would be the obvious choice, since you already have 3.55's...just have a knowledgable person do the install.
If you go that route, tires will be up next as your grip with the new gears will need to be improved.
After that...cam/header's where the real fun is
Hope this helps!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're not going FI, then you've added one of the bigger power adders with the CAI & tune combo. The only other equivalent gain would be cams with LT headers; shorties won't help that combo anywhere near as much. After that, it's pretty much single digit gains/free-ups from things like the UDP's, aluminum DS, electric water pump, weight loss, etc.

As far as gears, you'd notice little going to 3.73's but 4.10's would be sweet providing you're not worried about the minor hit in fuel mileage and as long as you don't do a lot of highway cruising long distance.

Don't consider an aftermarket TB despite the gain claims; you'll never see those gains unless you're FI or heavily modded to breath and aftermarket TB's are known problems.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 AM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Thanks alot 4.10's were my first choice. I did read some people arfe using 3.90's does anyone have any experience with them?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HKSkook
Thanks alot 4.10's were my first choice. I did read some people arfe using 3.90's does anyone have any experience with them?
3.90 would be an excellent gear selection imo, however frpp does not offer them only motive. Movitve gears are well known to produce gear whine, that's probably why you don't see alot of guys with them.
However you could get the 4.10's and if you find them too aggressive, select a larger rear tire diameter like my 295/45/18's and that will drop your "effective" gearing into the 3.90 range.
There's always another way to skin a cat, right?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HKSkook
HKSkook,

3.90's are one of my favorite choices, except the risk of gear whine is usually not worth it for most people. Not that all of Motive gears whine, they're just known to whine if not setup perfectly. I think you'll be happy with 4.10's and some Ford Racing gears, though. The acceleration difference is huge and a ton of fun to rip up the streets with!

Besides gears, you'll notice a power increase with an O/R Xpipe and a retune, too. Of course, if you do the gears first, tires should be your next focus because traction is going to be tricky.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

Shane
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

I have the steeda UDP's. gears are my next mod. I only have 3.31's so anything I do 3.73 or 4.10 will be a huge difference. Im leaning 4.10 because like you, mine's just a weekend toy. I did notice the the engine "feels" a little peppier. Revs easier. got em cheap when they were on sale.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats my next step?