Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

And the mods begin...

Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Default Here's the baseline...

Here's what I'm starting with... 38K miles on an '06 GT Premium - PUFF! - still has all original tires. OMG! is that even possible!
Attached Thumbnails And the mods begin...-stang1.jpg   And the mods begin...-stang2.jpg   And the mods begin...-stang4.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
I know there's a bunch of controversy here, but Airraid does have real dyno data to show an increase.
There is no controversy anymore. Everyone knows they don't work. Airraid should be ashamed of themselves (as should all other TB spacer manufacturers) for claiming otherwise and especially for manufacturing information to back up their claims. I'm not trying to start off on the wrong foot here. I like your car, most of your mod list and your enthusiasm, but from one mustang guy to another, let someone else get taken and sell it off. $50 is a lot of money for an aluminum paperweight. One more thing: Install the Whipple!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
There is no controversy anymore. Everyone knows they don't work. Airraid should be ashamed of themselves (as should all other TB spacer manufacturers) for claiming otherwise and especially for manufacturing information to back up their claims. I'm not trying to start off on the wrong foot here. I like your car, most of your mod list and your enthusiasm, but from one mustang guy to another, let someone else get taken and sell it off. $50 is a lot of money for an aluminum paperweight. One more thing: Install the Whipple!
No worries - I always welcome opinions and advice. This ain't my first rodeo - I've been a "car guy" for 30 years, but I don't claim to know it all - because I know I most certainly don't!!! Spacers have been used for years in racing applictaions, but I think the real gain is with carb engines. I think I'm drifting to your position on this - I will probably sell it rather than waste the time putting it in.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
I think the real gain is with carb engines.
Absolutely. Carbs do an inferior job of mixing fuel and air compared to fuel injectors. A well set-up spacer on a carb motor is a godsend.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Default Headers, exhaust and drive shaft this weekend - FEW QUESTIONS

This weekend we will be installing the ceramic JBA catforward headers. I am using Percy's seal-for-good gaskets and Stage8 bolts with Nickel anti-sieze. I plan to torque the bolts down in stages to 16 ft-lb - is that the correct torque spec? - and then set the Stage8 locks in place. I'm also installing Prothane bullet motor mounts while I'm in there. Since the car will be on the lift I am installing my Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft. Should I use blue Loctite on the shaft bolts? Lastly, we'll be installing the FRPP X-Pipe and Corsa Xtreme axle-backs.

The car will be in for a host of mods this winter and I won't be able to road test/heat cycle the engine until spring. I will be able to start the car and check for leaks. Since I'm using Percy's and Stage8 locking bolts, will I need to go through the hassle of re-torquing the header bolts later on? Or am I good to go? Maybe I can overtoque slightly on the initial install - say 18 ft-lb? You guys know how difficult it is to reach the bolts for a re-torque - and then I would have to reset the locks as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Sounds sweet!
I just installed bama 93 race and airaid cai today.
295/40 tires are going on sunday...
AND, 4.30 gears go in monday!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Rain
1st Gear Member

Nice combo of power/handling mods, Maine-iac!

Did your GT come stock with 3.55 gears? I'm thinking about putting 4.10 in mine next.

What area of Maine are you located? I'm close to Augusta and hoping to attend some of the Mustang meet-ups this summer. Would be cool to see you there.

Oh, and you need to stripe it someday.