Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

And the mods begin...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Default And the mods begin...

Just pulled my latest project car into the shop to begin a whole host of mods over the winter. Stock 2006 GT coupe. My signature states most of the mods I am doing. Have a big pile of parts sitting in front of the car!! Have a brand new Whipple HO supercharger kit sitting there too - but I think I am actually not going to install it! My son will be learning to drive in this car and I want to keep this Mustang a long time (yeah, right!!), so I am probably staying NA. The Whipple should not be too hard to sell....

Luckily for me, I have a buddy that lets me use his heated garage with a lift and all the tools I need - sweeeeet!

I'll keep you posted as I make progress and share anything I think may help others.

Now, where to start?? Suspension probably...
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
Just pulled my latest project car into the shop to begin a whole host of mods over the winter. Stock 2006 GT coupe. My signature states most of the mods I am doing. Have a big pile of parts sitting in front of the car!! Have a brand new Whipple HO supercharger kit sitting there too - but I think I am actually not going to install it! My son will be learning to drive in this car and I want to keep this Mustang a long time (yeah, right!!), so I am probably staying NA. The Whipple should not be too hard to sell....

Luckily for me, I have a buddy that lets me use his heated garage with a lift and all the tools I need - sweeeeet!

I'll keep you posted as I make progress and share anything I think may help others.

Now, where to start?? Suspension probably...
put the blower on
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

If you're going to keep the car for a while, keep the blower too. You might end up wanting it down the road, especially if your son goes off to college any time soon (next couple years).
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
If you're going to keep the car for a while, keep the blower too. You might end up wanting it down the road, especially if your son goes off to college any time soon (next couple years).
Yeah, I hear you but $7K is a lot of loot to sit on! Plus, I just don't want to deal with all the SC issues for my daily (summer) driver. Had a change of heart since I bought it. The bottom end of the motor will be severely stressed along with the tranny, input shaft and clutch. Really should address all of those areas if the intent is to keep the car.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Its all in the tune but I agree dont hand a high powered mustang to a 16 year old......really bad idea, but he would see you as the coolest dad ever if you did. LOL

Is that his mother in your avatar pic? WOW!!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Its all in the tune but I agree dont hand a high powered mustang to a 16 year old......really bad idea, but he would see you as the coolest dad ever if you did. LOL

Is that his mother in your avatar pic? WOW!!
LOL! Nope - I wish!

But seriously, my 'ole lady can definitely compete with that... I ain't complainin' !!

This car is going into my stables for a long time. It's a freakin' cream puff and it's hard to find them like that. I may give it to him for graduation in a few years.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Nice score on the wife then.....LOL

Good to hear your kid wont be getting the car. I am old school, kids need to earn it, not just receive it. You have some nice mods to install over the winter. Installing is always fun. I did another muffler swap and a DSS DS yesterday......HotRod Saturday with the fellas.....a good day.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Nice score on the wife then.....LOL

Good to hear your kid wont be getting the car. I am old school, kids need to earn it, not just receive it. You have some nice mods to install over the winter. Installing is always fun. I did another muffler swap and a DSS DS yesterday......HotRod Saturday with the fellas.....a good day.
I'm addicted to Mustangs and I love working on them! This is my fourth one...
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Ditch the throttle body spacer. They are snake oil. Someone on ebay will scoop it up.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Ditch the throttle body spacer. They are snake oil. Someone on ebay will scoop it up.
I know there's a bunch of controversy here, but Airraid does have real dyno data to show an increase. In theory it makes sense, but I agree it's hard to believe. I only paid $50 brand new, and it can't hurt - so I'm gonna bolt it on.

Quick Reply: And the mods begin...