Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Modification Plan good or bad?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
dan2073

Default Modification Plan good or bad?

I bought a 2005 gt over the summer it has a cai and a bama tune I want to do some additional mods but dont want to make any mistakes I am planning on kooks long tubes with a catted x pipe,then want to do the comp cams ***** thumpers with the plan on going f/i within a year or two are the cams compatible with f/i. My end goal is 425-450 rwhp . Any suggestion so I dont waste money . I want the headers for the sound and the hp gains till i get the blower . Thanks Dan
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Gotta think about your goals. The cams and long tube shift your HP and torque curves to the high rpm range. You will not get an improved low end grunt. You can get north of 450hp with just a whipple HO kit and nothing else.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Cams and headers are great but do cost a lot of cash. Are you doing the installs? If you want to go FI eventually, then just do it now. Nothing gives the power for the cost like FI and your HP goals are within reach and realistic. But if you just have to have the deep throaty tone, then get the headers. IMO cams are over rated big time. If I was to do it again, I would pass.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Cams and headers are great but do cost a lot of cash. Are you doing the installs? If you want to go FI eventually, then just do it now. Nothing gives the power for the cost like FI and your HP goals are within reach and realistic. But if you just have to have the deep throaty tone, then get the headers. IMO cams are over rated big time. If I was to do it again, I would pass.
Right on!
Totally agree. I have JBA cat-forward equal length headers. Several buddies have them and they sound i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e!! Just a thought in case you want to avoid the hassles of long tubes. The JBA's will bolt right up to your mid-pipe, so saves cash. Also - your stock cats already flow really well - high flow cats are over-rated.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM
dan2073

I want to add the headers for the sound as well as the hp gains the cams sound nasty like a muscle car should IMO but not necessary . I would be doing the install on both , Also i was thinking with the headers and cams I could achieve the target hp with a smaller amount of boost and stress the internals a little less , maybe i will skip the cams if they dont add that much, Is my thinking with the headers correct?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Be ready to deal with drone. Cams are nice as I have them too but some times I wish I wouldn't have. U will need an intercollegiate kit to get u there as well
Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan2073
I want to add the headers for the sound as well as the hp gains the cams sound nasty like a muscle car should IMO but not necessary . I would be doing the install on both , Also i was thinking with the headers and cams I could achieve the target hp with a smaller amount of boost and stress the internals a little less , maybe i will skip the cams if they dont add that much, Is my thinking with the headers correct?
Re: headers - You're sort of correct...

Your total HP gain is larger with LT vs. shorties. But shorties give you more torque in the lower rpm range than LT. That's where it matters to me - may not be for you. If you know you are going FI, I would just bite the bullet and do the whipple. I have a brand new HO whipple in the box right now, but I am not going to install because my son is going to drive it and I want to keep him in one piece. PM me if interested.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan2073
I bought a 2005 gt over the summer it has a cai and a bama tune I want to do some additional mods but dont want to make any mistakes I am planning on kooks long tubes with a catted x pipe,then want to do the comp cams ***** thumpers with the plan on going f/i within a year or two are the cams compatible with f/i. My end goal is 425-450 rwhp . Any suggestion so I dont waste money . I want the headers for the sound and the hp gains till i get the blower . Thanks Dan
If your end goal is 450rwhp, then you don't need cams or headers to get there. I'd skip them and save up for the supercharger. You'll reach your end goal a LOT faster that way. Make sure you get a catch can before you put on the boost.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
If your end goal is 450rwhp, then you don't need cams or headers to get there. I'd skip them and save up for the supercharger. You'll reach your end goal a LOT faster that way. Make sure you get a catch can before you put on the boost.
^ Yep!
I got a UPR Performance catch can - VERY nice billet unit - check 'em out.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM
dan2073

thanks for your suggestions I guess I should wait until the piggy bank gets a little fuller rather than jumpimg the gun

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modification Plan good or bad?