Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Boss 302 Keys on a GT Premium...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Default Boss 302 Keys on a GT Premium...?

I am hoping someone knows whats going on here. I have not been able to find clarification on this topic anywhere. Hoping this form section may know.

I have a 2013 GT Premium, it has a Boss 302 Race Key and then just the standard key. It does not have a Boss 302 intake or anything to that effect.

However you can hear the change in idle when you plug that key in. So does anyone know if this is just what happens when you get the track package with the GT Premium??

The dealership has not been any help they were confused when they got it in and it had Boss 302 all over it keys.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I've not heard of track packs having the boss 302 key? something weird is going on there, it seems like. I'd be nervous about running the car with that key if it's changing the tune over for a engine configuration you do not have.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Maybe the Ford Rep will pipe in and be able to get you some help.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

That's kind of what I figured, you know somethings odd when all the ford mechanics are confused at the dealership......

So far I have ran the car once with that key, on a short trip to the store. But yeah I am slightly nervous about what that key is doing and if it's hurting the car.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

interesting... I'm subscribed. Would like to know the resolution
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

maybe they accidentally installed the boss 302 engine in your car .. ha ha. that would be the coolest outcome ever.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

The Boss 302 key is not "activated." It will only work once you buy the flash for it, which happens after you buy the car (due to some areas requiring emission checks). It is $302 + 1 hour of labor. Part of the $302 charge is a programming code that the Ford techs use in their computer to program the Track Key. Until then, it is just another key, and a Ford Tech can not do any kind of programming with the Track Key if they do not have the code. The first Laguna we sold here, the customer wanted the Track Key programmed, and we had to spend a while to figure out how Ford's sequence with this program was (they like to operate on a "need to know" basis, so there isn't any training until it happens).

Track Pack is only supposed to consist of the Boss 302 Radiator (makes the Mustang 50 state emissions legal as well), TORSEN Diff, Brake Package, and the Boss 302 oil cooler.

If there is a programmed Boss 302 key for your GT, something screwed up with Ford. The keys are tied to the vehicle by the car's computer (anti-theft). The Techs have to actually hook up the computer to program any key to the car.

Last edited by Boaisy; 01-31-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Boaisy that's the most info I have been able to get on the topic. Still do not understand why I have the keys though. Think I may have to take this thing into the dealership and see if anything can be tracked down. See if I can get a hold of the cars build sheets maybe? Do they release that kind of info?

I know its not a 302 because it does not have the blue 302 intake.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

They can probably get a build sheet of some kind, if not it would have to be from the Ford rep. We can pull sheets for vehicles in our stock, or vehicles that we sold, but not other dealers (dealer unique ID locks).
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Alright, great to know thanks again. Going to try to get down there this weekend. Will update with my findings once I know more.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Keys on a GT Premium...?