Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Test drove a 2006 GT w/auto last weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM
SmileyOr

Default Test drove a 2006 GT w/auto last weekend

The interior looked very good. It was a low mileage car for an 06 at 51k. The seats felt good, even better than the seats in my TLS. The ride quality was firm, but slightly better over the sidewalk bumps from the street to the parking lot. This might be due to the difference in sidewall height of 55 instead of 45 for my TLS. There were no potholes on the roads the salesman directed me to so I couldn't try to shake the car up. It was wet, so no hard turns either, although I probably wouldn't do that at this point in my search anyway. Throttle was easy to control, although again, I was on a test drive and not driving like I would on a daily drive.

On my normal route to and from work if it's wet I tend to spin a front tire every once in a while. Even in the dry when I'm pulling out from a stop quickly I have to be careful. With the 62F/38R weight distribution you'd think that might be more difficult to do . One thing I like about my TLS is the tiptronic shifting ability. The Mustang does not offer this. I can put it into D, 3, 2 or 1, but I'm not sure that I would hit just one gear up or down at a time. Push a little too far and you're up or down two gears.

When I drove my Audi on a track I liked the control going into, through and out of corners with the tiptronic. The Acura is the same way. No waiting, or wondering when the auto is going to change gears on me when I don't want it to.

How does the mustang automatic handle gear changes on spirited drives?

Do you find yourself just letting it take care of all shifting or is it too slow compared manually dropping down a gear when preparing to pass?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
The interior looked very good. It was a low mileage car for an 06 at 51k. The seats felt good, even better than the seats in my TLS. The ride quality was firm, but slightly better over the sidewalk bumps from the street to the parking lot. This might be due to the difference in sidewall height of 55 instead of 45 for my TLS. There were no potholes on the roads the salesman directed me to so I couldn't try to shake the car up. It was wet, so no hard turns either, although I probably wouldn't do that at this point in my search anyway. Throttle was easy to control, although again, I was on a test drive and not driving like I would on a daily drive.

On my normal route to and from work if it's wet I tend to spin a front tire every once in a while. Even in the dry when I'm pulling out from a stop quickly I have to be careful. With the 62F/38R weight distribution you'd think that might be more difficult to do . One thing I like about my TLS is the tiptronic shifting ability. The Mustang does not offer this. I can put it into D, 3, 2 or 1, but I'm not sure that I would hit just one gear up or down at a time. Push a little too far and you're up or down two gears.

When I drove my Audi on a track I liked the control going into, through and out of corners with the tiptronic. The Acura is the same way. No waiting, or wondering when the auto is going to change gears on me when I don't want it to.

How does the mustang automatic handle gear changes on spirited drives?

Do you find yourself just letting it take care of all shifting or is it too slow compared manually dropping down a gear when preparing to pass?
With auto mustangs, most people throw a really good tune at it. firms up the shift points, the throttle response, and gives you a little more power.
Are you for sure you want an auto? would you consider a manual?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It sounds like you really want a manual. Auto or manual, you are going to want a custom tune. The difference in throttle response is night and day.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
SmileyOr

My Fiancee needs to be able to drive it and she has no experience with manual transmissions. Otherwise I'd enjoy the manual over the automatic.

For daily driving, and even the fun drives, I have not missed a manual. Being able to manually shift into a lower gear when preparing to pass is sufficient enough and cornering is on the safe side anyway, no pushing the limits where a manual would make a difference.

Both the Audi and the Acura have close to the same HP, but the Mustang has more torque and weighs over 1,000 lbs less than the Audi, and about 300 lbs less than the Acura. Should be fun
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Anomalus1
1st Gear Member

The auto shifts quickly and smoothly. The shifting in the s197s have been really decent. Just mash the pedal and she downshifts to kick up the rpms to pass. I haven't experienced any shifting issues. You floor it and shifting is almost unnoticable, take it slow and the shifts will account for that. You shouldn't need to worry about passing capabilities, these cars have that, even without a tune.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Test drive a GT.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Don't be scared to get on it with a salesman in the car when I went and test drove my 11 I took that sales guy for a ride and he just hung on and said "fun huh".

Last edited by Dawghouse; 02-14-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

A CAI and custom tune makes a remarkable difference in shift pattern and it will definitely change and improve performance.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Just remember that on the slushbox S197, if you put it in 3rd, 2nd, or first, it stays in that gear, even after you stop.

So in other cars, you drop down to 3rd, it will shift to 2nd and first when you come to a stop, and after taking off again, it will shift to 2nd and top off at 3rd.

Not in the case of the Mustang, you leave it in 3rd, it stays there, just keep that in mind.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Aggressive auto drivers best friend...
http://www.americanmuscle.com/tci-ra...er-0509gt.html
pricey (damn did the price go up again?), but most efficient.
This combined with a tune will get you where you want to be, and will
dress up the interior nicely

Name:  DSC_0014-1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  60.5 KB

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2006 GT w/auto last weekend