Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got my first big boy mod!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default Got my first big boy mod!

I came across an awesome deal on these things the other day and couldn't pass it up- so, I'm now the owner of these beauties:

Yep, ceramic coated JBA's. I also just happened to find someone on ebay selling a shorty catted JBA H-pipe that I managed to score for a little less than the off road version goes new, so I feel like I did pretty well (but I don't have it just yet). I know the install will be a long, laborious process, but I have lots of time to do it and the weather's not gonna be nice for awhile so I plan to take my time.

Anyway, I do have a couple questions.

1. Is JBA's shorty H-pipe designed to slip OVER the collector? The one I bought has no clamps and I want to make sure I have what I need.
2. Does anyone know how far I have to extend the front and rear O2 sensor wiring to reach?
3. The holes in the flanges on these things look like they were cut out on a CNC table for some reason and appear as such:

Would it mess up the ceramic coating if I slotted the bottom front and rear bolt holes to make it so that I could start the bolts with the gasket in place and just slip the header down onto the bolts? (would make installation much easier for me to do myself)
4. And, speaking of said bolts, is it a bad idea to use stainless bolts for header bolts? Also, I have copper antisieze, should I apply that to whatever header bolts I use?
Attached Thumbnails Got my first big boy mod!-imag0107.jpg   Got my first big boy mod!-imag0108.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Congrads, JBA's are nice pieces. To answer your questions:

1)JBA's use a slip fit connector, just like ARH. They slip over eachother, and there should of been a clamp provided. If not, just run down to the local hardware store and pick some up.

2) Just buy some pre-made O2 extensions. I needed all 4 with my LT's. Its a good foot for each O2.

3) Not sure if it would mess with the coating, but it would hurt to slot them. My ARH had EVERY bolt hole slotted. Made for a super easy install, threaded in the top 4 bolts on each side, slid header up, and got one of the 4 on the bottom side. Super easy.

4) Stainless is fine, but I would just go with any high grade bolt, like 10.9 since we live in metric land.

I didnt use antisieze, it wasnt suggested in the instructions so what the heck. It can't hurt though.

Just make sure after you install them, but them through a few heat cycles and re-check the torque on the bolts.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Two things that are a must have. First gloves, you need em cause your about to scratch your hands like you have never done before. Trust me. Second a 13 mm ratcheting box wrench. This tool at $15 will save you hours of frustration with those header bolts. I did not use anti seize either.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I have ratcheting wrenches, stubby ratcheting wrenches and flex head ratcheting wrenches...Hopefully I'm good to go

And, well...I hate working with gloves on so I guess I'll just be all scratched up. I need to get some of those "carpenter gloves" that have the forefingers and thumbs cut out, because that's usually my biggest thing with gloves is that I can't feel anything.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:00 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

You're good to go then!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
I have ratcheting wrenches, stubby ratcheting wrenches and flex head ratcheting wrenches...Hopefully I'm good to go

And, well...I hate working with gloves on so I guess I'll just be all scratched up. I need to get some of those "carpenter gloves" that have the forefingers and thumbs cut out, because that's usually my biggest thing with gloves is that I can't feel anything.
Perfect, I forgot to mention flex head. Thats the one. Go to home depot and get the nitrile ones. They are $2.00, fit really tight and give a good touch sensation vs leather. Header install is not difficult just a lot of nuts and bolts and stuff in the way. Lay some carpet under your car.....your hips will thank me. Lol
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Well, I have cardboard I lay on (funny story there- the cardboard is the box that my toolbox came in when I got it back in 2006...I've had it for so long now I can't bear to just throw it away and get a new piece of cardboard...that's some durable cardboard!)

Anyway I can't imagine I'll really have an opportunity to work on this for more than a couple hours at a time, so maybe I won't end up quite so sore!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

If you can break it up thats a good idea. Nothing really tricky, but remember to mark the steering shaft when you take it out so you can put it back the same way, not rotated 180.

Other than that, good luck! When I did my install I used my buddies lift, BUT, the one snap-on ratcheting wrench he was missing? 13mm.... FML
Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I actually have access to a lift, but it's in my fiancee's dad's radiator shop...and I'd have to either pull a marathon install or risk taking up his lift for too long of a time, so I'm just doing it this way.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

It me 10 hours with a buddy on a lift, going slow and using normal wrenches, because some spaces dont allow for a socket :/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my first big boy mod!