Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 Mustang GT Gas/Exhaust Smell in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
nkonemann05

Default 05 Mustang GT Gas/Exhaust Smell in Cabin

I apologize for the lengthy post. I have searched this issue and each thread seems to mention something different that could be the cause or something different to check. Also, I haven't seen a thread that includes ALL of the symptoms that I've been experiencing (which also makes me wonder if they're related).

A month or so ago, I noticed a gas/exhaust smell in the cabin when I would come to stoplights. At stoplights/idling I also noticed that it almost seems like the exhaust is "belching" or hiccuping. It's pretty noticeable as the car slightly shakes when it "belches".

One thread mentioned it could be the fuel filter, which I hadn't changed in awhile, so starting small I replaced that first. It was disgusting, but the smell and "belching" was still there. Another thread mentioned it could just be running rich, so again trying to start small, a friend let me borrow his ScanXL stuff. No CEL or codes, but the passenger side O2 sensor was giving a 'Lean' reading and the driver side was giving a 'Rich'. Since they hadn't been replaced since I got the car I decided to change those. Both sensors read 'Rich' now and the belching and gas smell are still prevalent.

I can slightly smell fumes in the engine bay on the driver's side, but it's not consistent.

There doesn't appear to be any big leaks and there isn't any gas leaking on the ground. Would a crack or hole in the exhaust, headers, etc. cause these? I haven't had a chance to inspect those with all this snow lately.

I did have Ford perform a tune-up in August, but I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it.

I'm not really mechanically inclined. Just enough to be dangerous, especially with the service manuals, so any direction would be much appreciated before I break down and take her back to the service department.

Also, she's mostly stock with the exception of the Flowmaster exhaust the previous owner added along with Steeda underdrive pulleys and Eibach springs.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Did this problem start after the Tune up?

I doubt they'll honor anything (maybe!) but it's good to know what they did and if the problem started after that.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM
nkonemann05

I didn't notice it until after the tune up, but during summer and fall I usually have the air recirculation turned on or the windows down. When the recirculation is on I don't smell the fumes.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well if your going for an authentic old school muscle car feel the fumes in the cabin would do it..........

Is it going though fuel faster than normal could be a fuel leak someplace?

A few months back I saw a post on here with someone having an issue sort of like this. Under the back seat there should be a fuel tank sensor, could be loose or seal damaged maybe.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Are you sure the previous owner didnt change the cams?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 AM
turnerdude69

Remove the rear seat and check the fuel pump.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 AM
nkonemann05

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Are you sure the previous owner didnt change the cams?
Not that I know of, but the dealership didn't seem to know anything about the car and this is the first time in the 6 years that I've had her that this has popped up.

I was able to determine it's for sure gas fumes, so hopefully this weekend I can check the fuel tank, pump, and rails to at least pinpoint where this is coming from.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Also check the EVAP cannister and its lines located in the engine compartment.