Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Before Forced Induction...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Acre2580

Default Before Forced Induction...

Hey all!

I've spent hours searching forums and to see if anybody has made a list of ideal things to get before any type of turbo / supercharger is put on a S197, but there's a lot of gray area.

My brother who's a mechanic told me a few things I should invest in before I look at any F/I, some of them being:
Headers
Mid-pipe
T.B.
He started rambling off other parts that I can't remember right now. I know some of this stuff isn't exactly "needed" before F/I, but I see why it's recommended (gotta get that air flowing!). Do you guys have any suggestions as to anything else I should be looking into before F/I?

Alittle about my car, I have the 2006 GT (you'll see it below). I just got it last week, the owner before me put a CAI and cat-back on it. It is my daily driver. That being said, my goal (for now) is the 430whp-ish "safe zone." And emissions in MD are pretty strict, so I'm trying to that in mind.

I know there's tons of threads similar to this, so hopefully I'm not

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

I'd recommend looking at suspension mods because all that power won't be very useful if you can't put it to the ground. Do some suspension research based on what you have planned for you and the car (street/strip, auto-x, etc.)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

You don't need headers for SC. You can't use headers with a Turbo.

You don't need suspension mods for 450rwhp, nice to have but not necessary.

What you need to support it is a larger fuel pump. Many find the stock clutch doesn't last long so they change that.

That is about the only must have that isn't considered part of the SC setup. A heat exchanger, with its pump and reservoir I'd consider part of the SC system.

Check here for the most economical SC system for the 4.6l. Boost
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Decide on which type of FI you are going to do before starting on anything air/fuel related.
As stated, turbo(s) affect the exhaust system extensively, twin screw or tvs will affect your options on intake, some kits include fuel system upgrades. If you're itching to do something while saving up cash, go with suspension & wheels.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

You don't need the Throttle body either for what you are shooting for. I'm at 490 rwhp on the stock throttle body with no problems. There is more to be had if i changed the throttle body, but i'm not willing to go there without going forged too.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Acre2580

Redfire: I'll definitely look into suspension, I haven't seen much talk about it so I assumed it was atleast decent for what I'm looking for.

908ssp: I already know I do not NEED headers, they were just things that my brother suggested with his reasoning "make it faster before you F/I." And I was assuming that the F/I I decide on (leaning more towards superchargers atm) would come with an upgraded fuel system. If not, its definitely something on my list. And I've never seen that link before, I'll do some research.

danzcool: I'm leaning more towards superchargers (I hear an echo!) right now, I was looking at the notorious Vortec V-3 and the Procharger P1SC, and plenty others, still unsure though. I'm trying not to spend more than $4k on any F/I kit, mostly because the $5k and $6k kits are the ones that are capable of 600+whp, and that's not what I'm going for. I read on another forum that people were piecing superchargers for $2.5k, which I feel like is an exaggeration, but who knows.

Mr. Ski: I know, T.B. is the last thing I'd mess with. According to testing done by Kenne Bell, the stock T.B. can theoretically support up to 593hp. I'd never want to be the one to push that, but its always good to know lol

I'm trying to stay economical with this. If you guys have any preferences as to what type of equipment, set-up, or tips, throw it in there.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Acre2580

Actually about that $2.5k F/I kit, they're in that forum 908ssp linked
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

wheels and tires would help with traction, and well,, all aspects of handling
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The stock TB can handle the airflow required by all but the heartiest of blowers. I agree that you need to decide what you're buying first. Although, I'd still consider rubber and suspension to hook up if you can before adding FI. When I added a measly roughly 20 RWHP with my CAI & tune, my stock rubber went from bad to worse.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

All you really need is to upgrade your clutch if your car is manual. Don't worry about anything else until after you decide on a F/I kit. It's hard to keep your foot out of the throttle with a shiny new supercharger, so it's best to break in a better clutch well before installing F/I.

Quick Reply: Before Forced Induction...