Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Air filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default Air filter replacement

Bought a used Granatelli CAI (Thanks Danzcool)

The filter element is fine, but I'm curious as to my options.

Is there any reason why I need to use oiled/dry or a particular brand of filter to use?

I've read that AMSOIL makes a very nice dry filter. Any recommendations guys?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My Stang uses an oiled filter, my previous SUV's used oiled filters and my current SUV uses a dry (washable) filter. Personally, I don't know what the difference is other than a more permeable-to-air-flow filter will likely trap more dirt with a bit of tack from the oil. The only real drawback of oiled filters is the possibility of over oiling and contaminating the MAF, which I did countless times on my SUV's but not yet on my Stang (knock on wood).

I DO like the Amsoil cone air filters (I love ALL Amsoil products; I'm a preferred member which gets me discounts for the Stangs, SUV, boat and yard equipment) although I've yet to replace any existing cone filters with one. I've considered one as my spare for those times that I'm cleaning, drying and reoiling the currently in-service filter but since my Stang isn't my DD, that's not an issue.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

This is my DD. The filter I have is almost exactly like the BBK filter (just reddish in color, not blue) and while it's clean, it's a little...I guess warped is the term. This is from me twisting and turning it a bit to get it on. I have a process for it now, but damn is it a pain in the a$$ to navigate around the heat shield.

Anyway, I see a limited life on these filters because of the twisting and turning it takes to get them on, not dirt. I figure if AMSOIL is less trouble for the same returns, why not eliminate the oiling process. I'd rather not purchase any new MAF sensors. Ever. 'Spensive little buggers.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Then I'd contact Amsoil but have the dimensions of your present filter handy. Their website also lists the dimensions for each p/n they list.

I have found cleaning and oiling my Steeda to be pretty simple; more so than other oiled filters I've owned (or maybe is just that I've gotten used to it). Although, I only clean and oil the filters I've owned anywhere from 25k miles to 40k miles between cleaning/oiling. For me it's a 12 hour job or more, 90% of which is for the drying process.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I am running an AMSOIL Ea air filter (cone type) on my K&N Aircharger CAI and I like it much better than the K&N that came on it.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

You remember the dimensions or part number Goldenpony?

And where do you guys get your AMSOIL products? I'm having a hard time finding a local dealer that isn't a Kwik Lube that wants to install it for me.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I am running an AMSOIL Ea air filter (cone type) on my K&N Aircharger CAI and I like it much better than the K&N that came on it.
I'll second that. The Amsoil EA filter is expensive, but it is much better made than my S&B that came with my whipple and so far, it's trapping more fine dust. Even with a freshly oiled filter, I'd get a fine layer of dust inside my intake tube after a few hundred miles. I've had the tube off several times and have found no dust with the Amsoil.

The thing I don't like is you can't wash it. you can vacuum it or use compressed air. I have to drive on dirt roads, so lots of dust in the air. If you never leave the pavement, then either will probably do fine.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Moose would you happen to have the partnumber for that filter handy? I know you posted it before but search is failing me.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFitz
You remember the dimensions or part number Goldenpony?

And where do you guys get your AMSOIL products? I'm having a hard time finding a local dealer that isn't a Kwik Lube that wants to install it for me.
My AMSOIL air filter is #EAAU6065. I ordered it directly from AMSOIL.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I pitched the original oiled filter on my C&L and replaced it with an aFe synthetic cone filter. I've used those synthetic filters in the past and I really like them, and like moosestang said they trap a lot more of the fine dust. Problem is they aren't cheap, my element was $55.

Quick Reply: Air filter replacement