Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BOSS intake or DR's?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

Default BOSS intake or DR's?!

I dont know which one I should go with??? I know the drag radials would really help out at the track but then the extra pull from the boss intake would be nice to have all the time as well. Any one out there regret going with the BOSS manifold?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Drag radials. Not even a close choice for me.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 AM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

If you plan to hit the track a lot, I would go for the DR's.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I agree with everyone above. I go to the track very often, and a normal pass for me is about 12.6 @117MPH with street tires. I'll spin off the line and all the way through 4th gear (I never shift to 5th). I WILL be purchasing some DR's this year, along with lower control arms. Thinking back, I wish I would have bought a set of wheels and tires instead of my headers, but i also like to do a lot of street racing and wouldn't see myself running DR's doing that.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Suggest you skip past DRs on an MT car and go straight to a full bias drag slick. The MT cars need every bit of help they can get absorbing the shock to the driveline induced by the MT launch. Drag radials ultimately break **** on MT cars, once you start pushing it.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

I dont get very much if any wheel hop at all right now, will the DR's change this? I still have stock LCA's. only reason im thinking about the DR's is a friend is selling some because he wants to go wider.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Here's something else to think about, beings you're driving a MT you may also want to look at a short throw. I've been doing a lot of researching between the barton and MGW and I'm leaning towards MGW. Everyone I've talked to that doesn't have one wants one, everyone that I've talked to that has a barton doesn't say hey i just love this shifter its the best in the world, and everyone i've talked to that has the MGW tells me they won't have anything different. I don't catch much wheel hop now either, but with DR's i imagine that will change.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

I'm not a racer, just a daily driver, so i dunno whether my opinion applies to your situation, maybe it will steer some folks who are on the fence one way or the other.

I do have the Boss Manifold, and I think on the whole its a component I don't regret buying. I'm not a very aggressive driver, and for me, you really only feel the puch up top. It pulls all the way to the red nonstop, which is realy awesome for some of those times when you're pulling off the on-ramp and you really want to take off. Some people say that it doesn't add much power, but I have to say that my experience has been that it really does make a difference when you get those revs up there. Also, it adds a very slight sort of rumbling sound when the RPMs are low that you can hear inside the cabin, which is really nice. You can't hear it once you step on it though.

If I had it to do over, I probably would have bought the boss manifold a little later on. There are some times when I really give it gas to the redline, but most of the time it just feels reckless and silly to be that high in the RPMs. Since I don't go to the track, and don't really drive the car that hard, I don't think I really get much use out of the boss mani, and I could have put that to exhaust or suspension. Hopefully I'll get more out of it when I get the b-lls to go to the strip, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm a newby still, so I don't a ton about what/when/why people choose the mods they choose. Just thought I'd share my experience.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:32 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Do you want to drag race or road race? If drag, then definitely the tires. If you're not doing either, there are other mods that your money is probably better spent on.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

DR's. The Boss will only help out in the extreme top end.

Quick Reply: BOSS intake or DR's?!