Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Advice needed (car shopping)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

makes no financial sense to me at all why someone would trade in a '07 for a older car..
all you really want is a V8 that you can afford. but going backwards is not a step up IMO.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 AM
2mchtoy

Had an 05 with a techco supercharger built 5r55s with 3:73 gears and traded it in on a new 2013 gotta have it green and have never looked back! Best decision I have made so far. Even with the supercharger(6psi) couldn't keep up with my 13. Yes. More money on insurance and reg. but I usually get 21-22mpg and my 05 got 15mpg. Think about it.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

How old are you? Your insurance seems pretty high for Tennessee. I am 28, in Knoxville, and have a 2010 GT and my insurance is 71.00/month. It used to be $65.00/month until the hail storm jacked up all of our insurance premiums in the region. (I didn't have damage, and insurance went up anyways.)

I would look for a 2007 or up GT. There are deals to be had. Besides, if you owe on your V6, and then you have to pay that off, and potentially finance an 05 GT your interest rate will suck something major. The newer the car, the lower the interest rate, granted the longer you'll have to finance more than likely.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

I recently bought an 05 GT for less than your asking price on your V6. So if you turn around and spend 13K-14K, you should be able to get a 07 GT in good condition
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
FordFan24

This might seem like a crazy question, but why is it bad to own an 05 vs an 07 if it saves me on insurance. I don't know all of the technical details, but from what I have read as far as basic information its the same body, same engine, and same transmission an 07 has. Like I said I don't know the details of changes from year to year so I'm honestly asking.

It seems like an 05-09 would have everything the same except maybe a few small changes. The major revamp would be the 2010 body style and the new 5.0
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM
FordFan24

2005 - Design elements from 40 years ago come back in the redesigned 2005, 40th anniversary Mustang. Mustang attitude from the 1964 to 1968 grille is back from its slightly slanted forward design to suggest a forward jetting hood, recessed round headlights separated from the grille by a color-keyed integrated body panel, separate turn signals lower in the bumper, optional fog lamps mounted in the grille field, and the Mustang galloping horse badge in the center. The rear has the three separate tail lights which do not wrap around to the sides, a simulated center gas cap badge, and no large recessed "MUSTANG" letters to remind us that this is a Mustang. The side coves are less pronounced than the 2004 and there is no simulated wheel air scoop at the end, but smaller rear quarter windows set apart from the door windows brings back elements of the fastback body line. Only two engines are available but they are the powerful 208hp, 4.0 liter, V6; and the 300hp, 4.6 liter, V8. The interior options include color-configurable instrument panel where a touch of a button can select more than 125 different background colors. GT options are available for both the coupe and convertible body styles. With this redesign comes a change in manufacturing location from 40 years in Dearborn, Michigan, to new facilities 20 miles south in Flat Rock, Michigan.

2006 - 2006 Mustang returns with its popular retro redesign. Differences over the previous year include: choice of Standard, Deluxe, and Premium series options; optional 18-inch wheels for the GT, two new paint colors Vista Blue and Tungsten Gray; and the V6 Pony Package which includes some GT parts, Pony badging and lower door stripes. The 2006 Mustang is available in two roof styles - the coupe and convertible. It is offered in the base level V6 model and the GT model. The GT model adds a V8 engine, anti-lock brakes, dual exhausts, fog lamps in the grille, rear decklid spoiler, 17-inch wheels, and a 6-way power adjustable driver's seat. Both models can be upgraded to the Deluxe option which includes the Shaker 500 Audio system and a seat upgrade. 2006 also sees the return of the Mustang Shelby as an upgrade GT for Hertz, the GT-H.

2007 - 2007 Mustang continues to refine its offerings by dropping the V6 standard leaving eight option groupings (V6 deluxe, V6 premium, GT deluxe and GT premium on either the coupe or convertible). Grabber Orange returns from being retired in 1970 and Alloy is added to the exterior paint choices. An auxiliary audio jack, SIRIUS radio option, and an interior Comfort Package is new inside. The GT is offered with new GT California Special and GT Appearance Package which adds front and rear fascias, spoiler, side scoops, hood scoop, sport wheels, exhaust tips, side stripes, and Pony emblems. Other carry-over option packages include the Comfort Group, Exterior Sport Appearance Package, Interior Upgrade Package, Premier Trim with Color Accent Package, Satin Aluminum Instrument or Woven Charcoal Aluminum Instrument Panel Applique, Sport Appearance Package, and V6 Pony Package. A new wheel option joins the six continued from 2006, the 17 inch bright machined cast Aluminum wheel with large tri-bar Pony center cap option on the GT.

2008 - Why mess up a good thing. The Mustang returns in 2008, virtually unaltered for its 4th year. Changes are mainly in the options. Side impact air bags become standard. New options include: ambient interior lighting; HID headlights; V6 18-inch wheels; a new V6 safety and security package; and a Warriors In Pink package for the V6 Premium coupe or convertible with automatic transmission. Models include the base level V6, GT, Shelby GT, and SVT Shelby GT500. Both the V6 and GT models are offered in the Deluxe or Premium versions - where the Premium upgrades the audio system and seats.

2009 -2009 was a short year (6 months) for the Mustang with the 2010 redesigned model coming out earlier than normal. Additions in 2009 include Brilliant Silver clearcoat metallic exterior paint replacing Silver, a glass roof option, 45th anniversary year fender badges, and a GT security package. Special models continue to be the GT, GT California Special, Bullitt, Warriors in Pink, and the SVT Shelby GT500 and GT500KR

So this suggests that other than exterior and interior changes which I don't care about there was nothing done specificly to the engines, or transmissions from an 05-09.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Not sure where you got those details from, but there are many more issues in the early years of the 05-09 model than the later ones. It's not about features, it's about not having to go repairing everything else when you get said 2005 GT or earlier.

I think you have to evaluate more financials here than just the insurance rates. By picking up the 05 GT, the amount you pay for in gas will increase each month, like other said, if your current car is financed, your financing rates will go up if you move to an older model year. My best guess? The extra amount you pay for in gas will make insurance changes negligible. Also, think about shopping around for better insurance rates...like someone else said, those seem high. I have hefty coverage on my 2011 GT, I'm a 21 year old, and although I'm on my parent's plan, I ring up at only $88/month...
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordFan24
This might seem like a crazy question, but why is it bad to own an 05 vs an 07 if it saves me on insurance. I don't know all of the technical details, but from what I have read as far as basic information its the same body, same engine, and same transmission an 07 has. Like I said I don't know the details of changes from year to year so I'm honestly asking.

It seems like an 05-09 would have everything the same except maybe a few small changes. The major revamp would be the 2010 body style and the new 5.0

because it just doesnt make plain baby smacking sense why you would sell a newer car for a older one.... Main reason is simple... Resell value. Not to mention normal wear & tear on a 8 yr old car... why would anyone in their right mind sell a newer vehicle to buy a older one???

Meh, kids.......
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

This whole thread seems full of misinformation. As I recall, the difference in real world mileage of the 2005-2008 mustang V8 v. V6 was about two mpg. Those V8's are nice (I have an '06), but stock they are about as fast as today's V6 mustangs.

The OP says it costs $32.50 to completely fill his tank. Well....that would be about a 9 gallon tank......but in any event the V8's and the V6's have the same size tank.

Of course the "right" answer here is that if you are unhappy with your car you should sell it can get something that you will be happy with. If monthly ownership costs are an issue, then there are plently of cars out there that will have a lower ownership cost and be just as quick (or quicker) than a mustang. Of course they are not mustangs....and most might be characterized by some with a phrase that rhymes with "micechurner," but I would never disparage another vehicle in such a way.

get what makes you happy. Nobody here can tell you what makes you happy.