Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My GT doesnt match on the oil filter??

Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 AM
1SilverGT
1st Gear Member

Default My GT doesnt match on the oil filter??

Yesterday i went to autozone because i was going to change the oil in my car. I have a 2007 mustang Gt, so they got into the database to see which oil filter it needs and they gave me one that does not fit the hole was too small. So i took the used one and it came out to be the same size as TG10060 Fram, but they told me that that filter was for chevy vehicles with the 5.3v engine so i tripped out. Does anyone else use that size filter?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Don't buy regular FRAM. They don't have an oil drain back valve. Neither does Wix or NAPA. Use a Motorcraft fl820s. I know you have the Fram top of the line with their drain valve, but it isn't up to the Motorcraft version. They never used it before going to the Tough Guard series. You'll have no problems and no dry start up with the Motorcraft.

Last edited by akdoggie; 02-04-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

The Fram number for interchange is XG2 or TG2 if you want to use the Tough Guard Fram. The number you have is definitely for the Chevrolets. This is the interchange for the Motorcraft FL820S that most of the Ford people use. Hope this helps you out.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Don't buy regular FRAM. They don't have an oil drain back valve. Neither does Wix or NAPA. Use a Motorcraft fl820s. I know you have the Fram top of the line with their drain valve, but it isn't up to the Motorcraft version. They never used it before going to the Tough Guard series. You'll have no problems and no dry start up with the Motorcraft.
How do you figure Wix doesn't have an anti drain back valve?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
How do you figure Wix doesn't have an anti drain back valve?
I miswrote. Wix does have the valve in it, which means the NAPA filter does too since it is made by Wix. I was reading down the line and got off one spot. My pardons.

What the sites were doing was rating oil filters. Going off regular, non-speciality filters, Hastings, Mann, Purolator, Motorcraft and Amzoil, all had good to high marks. K&N, Fram, Wix, NAPA, Carquest and Bosch were rated in the marginal to good range. The ones rated **** poor were the cheapo brands that were carried by Walmart and other discount stores. STP and AC fell into the less than marginal column. This was only oil filters. Nothing else. I wasn't surprised to find orange can Fram way down the list. If you ever cut one open, you'll never buy another. Fram isn't American owned anymore either. Allied sold to Honeywell, who sold it last year to Rank Group. They are a leverage buyout company from New Zealand. No more Fram for me. JMO

Last edited by akdoggie; 02-04-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM
1SilverGT
1st Gear Member

Ive been hearing so many bad review about fram but i already installed it, can i change it or will the oil drain out? And i was also wondering about the size since its not for a GT i was going to buy the mobil 1 oil filter but it gave me the same size TG10060 which i dont understand because like i said its for a 5.3
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Search fram filter inside pics and you
tell me if you want a piece of cardboard
inside your filter...

http://wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfil...x.html#measure

Mobil 1 makes a good filter.
So does WIX and NAPA.
You cant beat the MotorCraft either.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Oreilly's list tg2 for the mustang gt. The UPC code is 9100010070. I think they gave you the wrong filter.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, but for the price of the motorcraft filter at wal-mart, why would anyone put a Fram filter on their car......
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I would do Motorcraft or Purolator Pure One. No Fram - ever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My GT doesnt match on the oil filter??