Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Raxiom Smoked Coyote Tails

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Default Raxiom Smoked Coyote Tails

Whats up guys...maybe you can help me..

I wanted to grab these lights with the sequential kit shown here:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/smoked...ghts-0509.html

So here's my question.. they say DOT approved, can I use that if I am pulled over? Are these lights still illegal? Specifically in New York?

The part I don't get is the new Mustangs come stock with smoked lights don't they? What would be the difference? Just like SUV's/some luxury cars come from the factory with tinted windows but if you actually ADD tinted windows to your ride, your doing something illegal...don't get it..

Last edited by mustangspotential; 04-09-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:29 PM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

You might call AM and ask if they have the DOT approval stamped/molded into the lens'. I believe DOT approved lighting will have the approval stamped/molded on the lense or bucket so they can be easily identified during an inspection.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Whats up guys...maybe you can help me..

I wanted to grab these lights with the sequential kit shown here:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/smoked...ghts-0509.html

So here's my question.. they say DOT approved, can I use that if I am pulled over? Are these lights still illegal? Specifically in New York?

The part I don't get is the new Mustangs come stock with smoked lights don't they? What would be the difference? Just like SUV's/some luxury cars come from the factory with tinted windows but if you actually ADD tinted windows to your ride, your doing something illegal...don't get it..
DOT approved means your car will pass inspection with no problems at all! You shouldn't run into any problems with the local police with them either, we've never had any reported issues of this.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions or need some assistance.

-Dan
Old 04-09-2013, 02:27 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Well I got a fix it ticket for the smoked coyote tails in california... I should have pulled out the DOT approved card
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

They are illegal! You cannot legally add tint to headlights or tailights and just because it has a DOT on it, doesn't make it street legal. The DOT is on there because it's made in the same mold as the stock tail lights.

If the lights didn't come from the factory that way, then they are not technically legal. You may or may not get pulled over for it. Florida state troopers don't play when it comes to modified tail lights.

I went through this with clear tail lights on a 99 ford ranger back in 99. They also had the DOT stamp on them.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-09-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Ah, the 90's.

When clear taillights were acceptable and Jennifer Anniston was inexplicably uglier.

I believe Moose is right. DOT mold is just a plastic mold. I don't think it means anything more than if I carved it in there with a knife.

Basically, if a LEO wants you to make his day, you're just gonna have accept it. If you can find a defense for it court then awesome. You'll still get the ticket. If they made up their mind to pull you over for taillight tint, they're giving you a ticket, regardless of plastic letters.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
They are illegal! You cannot legally add tint to headlights or tailights and just because it has a DOT on it, doesn't make it street legal. The DOT is on there because it's made in the same mold as the stock tail lights.

If the lights didn't come from the factory that way, then they are not technically legal. You may or may not get pulled over for it. Florida state troopers don't play when it comes to modified tail lights.

I went through this with clear tail lights on a 99 ford ranger back in 99. They also had the DOT stamp on them.

Well that sucks.

On the other hand though, I wouldn't be tinting my tails like most people do, making them so black it's unbelievable. These lights don't look that dark, and seem to give off good visible light. I guess that's why I'm questioning it.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 AM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

I agree, tinted/modified oe's are going to pretty much be a no no from a legal standpoint everywhere in the US.

The cheapy ebay lights with odd ball reflectors and lighting configurations
that can be bought for $39.99 are a no go from a legal standpoint as well.

As to high quality aftermarket lighting then it comes down to whether Raxiom or any other constructor has gone through the process of getting their lights certified or not. You can be all but assured the cheapy ebay lights have not. There's usually not just a "dot approved" marked on the lights but a certification # or code also i believe.

Bottom line imo is if you get a ticket with these lights that are advertised and sold by a reputable manufacture and supply chain as DOT APPROVED then you can fight it in court and/or fight it out with the manufacture and dealer who's selling these claiming dot approval. For most of us unfortunately, paying the ticket is the easiest thing to do and what most are resigned to doing. It's usually not worth the hassle in the end and that's how government keeps making it harder and harder on the car customizing hobby.

Take window tint for instance...in TN 30% is the legal limit. If i had a nickel for every local police and highway patrol car I've seen in this state with blacked out 5% limo tint on the side and rear windows I would be rich. If it was so unsafe to have dark tint why are the "safety monitors" using it?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Well that sucks.

On the other hand though, I wouldn't be tinting my tails like most people do, making them so black it's unbelievable. These lights don't look that dark, and seem to give off good visible light. I guess that's why I'm questioning it.
Like I said earlier, I have those and I got one fix-it ticket. They are not dark at all but if you run into a jerk CHP or sheriff then you are screwed because they are darker than stock. These lights won't grab the attention of your average cop though.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the LEO's in Texas don't bother much with this stuff.

I don't run a front plate either, and the only time an officer talked to me about it was when they had reports of drag racing in the town south of where I lived and they did a drive by to see if I was home. (Old neighbor didn't like my Flowmasters and phoned in a bogus complaint.)

She mentioned I need to find a way to cleanly mount it and that was the end of that.

Until you give them a reason to look, they aren't going to bother you.

Guess I'm glad I don't live in Cali or on the East Coast.

Quick Reply: Raxiom Smoked Coyote Tails