Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New set of tunes, what is the best procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Default New set of tunes, what is the best procedure?

I have only had one set of BAMA tunes so far for my SCT tuner. Now that I purchased an off road X pipe, I requested a new set of tunes. I was given documentation but I wanted to get advice from those that have done this before. So, what is the best/safest/smartest way to handle this?

What I have done so far: Received my new tunes via email and stored them on an external hard drive as well as in my gmail account. Same goes for my original tunes (I requested them in email as well). Can't have too many backups!!

Next steps: Update the firmware. My tuner is relatively new and may be up to date already. Gotta confirm that though. And, in doing so I should restore the car to stock first, correct? Once done I should be able to put one of my original tunes back on the car because I may not be doing the X pipe right away.

Drive a while ....

Then, install the x pipe and load one of the new tunes. Again, I have the documentation to do this. But, any advice or tips for replacing my original tunes with my new tunes on the tuner? Or, is it so simple that a cave man can do it?

Just looking to make this as smooth as possible so just looking for tips on how others have done this.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Yes, make sure you go back to stock before you update the firmware. You'll need to install the drivers/tuner software on your PC as well before attempting to update the firmware. Be aware that the firmware update can take close to an hour. I wasn't aware of this and almost bricked my brand new tuner because I unplugged it during the update process, thinking it had hung. I got lucky and did some more research on the issue.

That's a good idea to keep a couple of copies of your tunes, things happen with PCs.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I just flashed over the others... no issue.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, that's fine if you think you will never re-use your older tunes. I like the idea of keeping them all in a safe place. Of course, protecting and manipulating data is what I do for a living. I keep backups of my backups!!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I keep my emailed tunes on my desktop, but I just flash the ECM with the new tune. I don't convert back to stock, then go to new tune