Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

High pitched noise coming from the dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Stuet

Default High pitched noise coming from the dash

Has anyone else experienced a high pitched noise coming from the dash whenever the key is in the on position? It's a constant frequency sound like tv's used to make, but a little bit higher.

I've taken it to the dealership twice to complain about it, the first time they said there was no sound, the second time the service rep confirmed that he heard it too, and agreed that it was extremely irritating... but when they ran a diagnostic there were no excessive power draws so everything was in spec.

of course.. sound doesn't take much power, so of course it was in spec... they don't have a "spec" for audible noises so they said Ford won't do anything about it. The sound is so annoying I want to pull my hair out.

Has anyone else had the same issue or suggestions on what I can do? He told me to call Ford customer care and complain, but I think I need to be able to prove the sound is happening and is at an unacceptable frequency before I'll get anywhere...

Also, this car was built in the first week of production and has had a TON of issues already, so they shouldn't be surprised it's doing something weird...

Thanks,
Stu

2011 Mustang GT Convertible, Candy Apple Red
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Some people are sensitive to high pitches. I am one of them. When I was a kid I couldn't go near the TV dept. at Sears. All those TUBE T.V.s powered on made my hair stand up!

Do you have the MyColor cluster with the data display? The vacuum fluorescent requires high voltage so there should be an inverter on the board in the cluster. Those circuits can start to "Sing" when they age. Toggle through the display modes until it goes dark and listen. My guess is with no load the noise should stop.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Stuet
Has anyone else experienced a high pitched noise coming from the dash whenever the key is in the on position? It's a constant frequency sound like tv's used to make, but a little bit higher.

I've taken it to the dealership twice to complain about it, the first time they said there was no sound, the second time the service rep confirmed that he heard it too, and agreed that it was extremely irritating... but when they ran a diagnostic there were no excessive power draws so everything was in spec.

of course.. sound doesn't take much power, so of course it was in spec... they don't have a "spec" for audible noises so they said Ford won't do anything about it. The sound is so annoying I want to pull my hair out.
Hello Stuet,

I also recommend you contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673 and let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

I had a high pitched whine once in mine. it was the passenger side ac fan. That might explain why one heard it and another didnt. Does it stop when you turn off your ac system completely or is it always there. A/C is the wrong word, its the fan that causes the flow of air from you ac/heating system. Atleast that was mines problem.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Stuet

Thanks for the comments everyone, Ford-a-Tude, you are correct about the mycolor system, I tried playing around with the settings in every way but couldn't get either the colors or the info screen to shut off. Changing colors didn't make a difference. I did however, figure out that if you are in the car with the key out and close the drivers door, the mycolor (in white because it's daytime) turns on, but the info screen stay off.

The second I insert the key (without turning it), the info screen turns on, and so does the noise!

Deysha, the dealership told me to call them but I figured I needed a bit more evidence before calling, because I'm afraid they might send someone who by chance can't hear it, out to see the car and think I'm crazy. Should I call them anyways?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

The problem is, your radio isn't loud enough.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Just noticed you have a 2011. In my 06 I can press the info button and scroll through the different displays, mileage, trip, MPG, etc. One of them is no display, perhaps that changed on the newer clusters. Hopefully you now have enough info to return to the dealer and demand a replacement.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:37 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The fluorescent vacuum display for the 'info center'
also used a high frequency 'inverter' to produce the
high voltage it needs to operate.

I would suspect a voltage inverter as the cause
of the high pitched squeal...

Most people cant hear the high frequencies...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Stuet

I was so set on turning off the mycolor in the settings menu I didn't even think of scrolling through the regular info screens to find the blank one. It didn't stop the noise however... but I guess since it was still powered it was making the noise?

Gary, I can actually still hear it over the radio unless it's almost at max... it stands out way too much! Frustrating...

I've called Ford customer care and they've contacted the dealer to confirm that the service rep could hear it too, and they've now escalated my case to the next level!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Deysha, the dealership told me to call them but I figured I needed a bit more evidence before calling, because I'm afraid they might send someone who by chance can't hear it, out to see the car and think I'm crazy. Should I call them anyways?
I've called Ford customer care and they've contacted the dealer to confirm that the service rep could hear it too, and they've now escalated my case to the next level!
Thank you for the update, Stuet. Please let me know the outcome.

Deysha

Quick Reply: High pitched noise coming from the dash