Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

06 Mustang GT 470rwhp problems?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM
mrrobertkent

Default 06 Mustang GT 470rwhp problems?

Hey everyone my name is Kent and I am looking into getting a 06 Mustang GT from my neighbor that has been kept in great condition. The car was bought brand new in 06 and taken straight to a local performance shop in Wilmington, NC and outfitted with a P-Series high output procharger, 60ib injectors, 3 high flow fuel pumps, better spark plugs, and minor other parts. For those who don't know that procharger is air-to-air intercooled and is centrifugal. It has the stock block, pistons, and heads which is where im leading with this question. The only other engine work done is kooks long tube headers, catted mid pipe, and cirvini side pipes so overall the engine wasn't really built. The engine was dynod on a dynojet for 560rwhp and then tuned down to 460-470rwhp for the sake of the engine. So its pushing 8ib boost. Does anyone have any input or experience supercharging these stock blocks? I know its on the higher scale of the danger zone for this block but my question is can it safely handle it? Im not asking for answers such as depends on how well the shop put it together or how well it was taken care of. The car has been sitting in an air conditioned hanger since it was bought, never been rained on, and only has 2883 original miles on it so there is no question the car is in great shape. I would greatly appreciate any commentary, I don't want to put a window in the side of my block

P.S. im not looking to race it or dog it, I Just want to now under normal condition will it be fine? And the occasional heavy foot but not all the time.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:21 AM
mrrobertkent

The Mustang also has an enormous stage 3 clutch, ford racing drive shaft w/ supports, and 3.73 gears.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

2800 miles? he must have trailered it to the track and back. I don't drive my car every day and I still have 46,000 on my 06. It's never taken a trip longer than 100 miles.

Sure the motor can handle it, but you are shortening the life of the engine.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I ran 475 rwhp on the stock block for about 3 years, but during that time it only made 2 dyno runs and about 8 passes at the track. I recently went to a stroked forged set up and when the guys tore the old motor down (80k miles total - 50k of that was FI) it looked fine. If you aren't going to race it, and the tune is good, you should be ok.

I wouldn't turn up the wick any without doing forged internals though.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:35 PM
mrrobertkent

Originally Posted by moosestang
2800 miles? he must have trailered it to the track and back. I don't drive my car every day and I still have 46,000 on my 06. It's never taken a trip longer than 100 miles.

Sure the motor can handle it, but you are shortening the life of the engine.
Yeah this car has never been raced its a show car and I don't plan on racing it. I think the best option would be lowering the boost to 4ib and saving up for the coyote engine or forged 5.0 block that is shaved to fit the 4.6 internals and then of course up grade bearing, pistons, and the heads. Would that be good or not good?
Old 05-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

There is no reason to turn down the boost on that motor... Plenty of 4.6's running around at 10 psi and some higher with no problems. It you don't drive it like a teenager, and maintain it properly, that motor will easily go 100k + with no problems. I have a 4.6 with a Whipple running 9.5 psi, and no problems yet... but I also only have 2600 miles on my car. I will eventually go forged on the bottom end too, but that's a project for another day. Just make sure you never lug the engine in 5th gear, that's the quickest way to pop one of these motors.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:42 PM
mrrobertkent

Originally Posted by Mr.Ski
There is no reason to turn down the boost on that motor... Plenty of 4.6's running around at 10 psi and some higher with no problems. It you don't drive it like a teenager, and maintain it properly, that motor will easily go 100k + with no problems. I have a 4.6 with a Whipple running 9.5 psi, and no problems yet... but I also only have 2600 miles on my car. I will eventually go forged on the bottom end too, but that's a project for another day. Just make sure you never lug the engine in 5th gear, that's the quickest way to pop one of these motors.
Alright Thanks for the input! Now you say don't drive like a teenager, does that mean never gun it or don't try to race every single car at every single light. lol
Old 05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrrobertkent
Alright Thanks for the input! Now you say don't drive like a teenager, does that mean never gun it or don't try to race every single car at every single light. lol
To me that means don't do any top speed runs. That seems to be the teenage thing to do on here and it will pop one of these motors as well.

I race every single car at every single light, unless it's a cop.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrrobertkent
Hey everyone my name is Kent and I am looking into getting a 06 Mustang GT from my neighbor that has been kept in great condition. The car was bought brand new in 06 and taken straight to a local performance shop in Wilmington, NC and outfitted with a P-Series high output procharger, 60ib injectors, 3 high flow fuel pumps, better spark plugs, and minor other parts. For those who don't know that procharger is air-to-air intercooled and is centrifugal. It has the stock block, pistons, and heads which is where im leading with this question. The only other engine work done is kooks long tube headers, catted mid pipe, and cirvini side pipes so overall the engine wasn't really built. The engine was dynod on a dynojet for 560rwhp and then tuned down to 460-470rwhp for the sake of the engine. So its pushing 8ib boost. Does anyone have any input or experience supercharging these stock blocks? I know its on the higher scale of the danger zone for this block but my question is can it safely handle it? Im not asking for answers such as depends on how well the shop put it together or how well it was taken care of. The car has been sitting in an air conditioned hanger since it was bought, never been rained on, and only has 2883 original miles on it so there is no question the car is in great shape. I would greatly appreciate any commentary, I don't want to put a window in the side of my block

P.S. im not looking to race it or dog it, I Just want to now under normal condition will it be fine? And the occasional heavy foot but not all the time.
Take care of the car and it will take care of you.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:51 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

For the most part the 4.6 will hold at that power level but on occasion somebody has some bad luck and it lets go. Timmbo would be that guy recently. His let go at 440 rwhp. He was running a m90 with all the bolts ons including the smaller pulley. Very surprising it went IMO.

OP, the tune is everything, make sure its right if you buy the car. Dont assume it is. My car is an 06 with 27k miles, 9k with the blower and over 200 passes with that blower at the strip. Brenspeed tuned..... thank you Brent.

Last edited by 808muscle; 05-18-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Mustang GT 470rwhp problems?