Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Suspension squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension squeaks

Hey guys,

I love my '06 GT that I got a few months ago. I've noticed a few things though about the car that I'm wondering about.

This is the main thing that's got me curious. I hear some really weird suspension rattles, like squeaky noises, either at high speeds, after some seriously bumpy roads, or womping on it.

At first I only noticed it when I was up at around 100mph or so, which is only a couple times. Today I noticed it after womping on it hard and hitting some serious bumps in the process. It got loud. After punching it around, at 40 mph, hitting small bumps and going slow with the windows down, I could clearly hear the squeaking loud when hitting bumps.

I'm sure it has something to do with the suspension and I'm almost certain it's stock at 77k miles. Maybe I need new shocks/struts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

is it coming from the front or rear?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbuff
is it coming from the front or rear?
I'm not positive but I believe the rear.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 AM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

I'd check for exhaust clearance. If not, could be bushings. Only tough part about that is you can't check it in the air obviously since it seems to be happening under load. I have some suspension squeaks in the rear of my stang, but it isn't enough to drive me crazy, so I just kind of deal with it. Your suspension stock?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbuff
I'd check for exhaust clearance. If not, could be bushings. Only tough part about that is you can't check it in the air obviously since it seems to be happening under load. I have some suspension squeaks in the rear of my stang, but it isn't enough to drive me crazy, so I just kind of deal with it. Your suspension stock?
I was going to say maybe I'll put the car up on jack stands, turn the wheels and all and see what noises happen. It sure looks like it's stock, as it hasn't been lowered or anything. Actually I was planning to do that. But now I'm thinking there may be some other things that need to be replaced regarding the suspension.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:38 AM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

Just bc it squeaks doesn't necessarily mean it has gone bad.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Lower control arm bushings are the probable cause. Shoot some WD-40 or equivalent into the bushings. If they are bad, that will temporarily stop the squeak, and confirm the cause. Ford Performance Parts replacements are available from American Muscle for just over $100 ea. They are easy to install.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

I had a really bad squeak and it was driving me crazy, I took it to an exhaust shop and they said the exhaust was bound up and was causing the hangers to squeak. Like mentioned above spray some wd40 on the exhaust hanger (try not to get it on the pipes) and see if that helps for a while.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Paul S. Safford

Originally Posted by illini4
Lower control arm bushings are the probable cause. Shoot some WD-40 or equivalent into the bushings. If they are bad, that will temporarily stop the squeak, and confirm the cause. Ford Performance Parts replacements are available from American Muscle for just over $100 ea. They are easy to install.
I have a simular problem - great suggestion, going to try next time I have a chance to get under the car... I like the idea of just swapping out for performance parts too!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Paul S. Safford

Originally Posted by illini4
Tried the WD40, no luck... Wonder if it's the shocks?

Quick Reply: Suspension squeaks