Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PLEASE I need help, trying to get car ready for inspection

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Bigplans87

Default PLEASE I need help, trying to get car ready for inspection

Hello Everyone,

Here is my situation. I have a 2008 Mustang GT (60k miles) with the the following JLT cold air, BBK long tubes, BBK catted X pipe and corsa mufflers with a Bama Tune. I installed the long tubes and catted x pipe last September. All has been well, car runs great no check engine lights. However, about three weeks ago I go to local shop for state inspection and my car comes up as in the "not ready" state. I had a couple 1000 miles on the car, so I should have been well through the drive cycle process. I called Bama tuning explained the situation and they sent me new tune. With-in 100 miles or so I had cleared the drive cycle but immediately through a CEL for DTC code PO430. From here I came across the possible solution of installing sparkplug anti foulers to limit the air flow going across the sensors. This sounded like an easy fix but when I went to install I found that I don't have enough spacing because the Catted Xpipe 02 sensor locations are right next to each other and the spacing of the anti foulers makes the sensors run into each other. I am hoping someone else has come across this same issue and my rant above makes sense. Any info would be appreciated as I am feeling helpless at the moment.

Could replacing the two rear 02 sensors be a possible solution? Is there a type or brand that could be recommended?

Is the Bama Tune the Issue?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Failed the first time for rear O2s being off in the tune, code is now on for insufficient catalyst probably.

This may be because of the location of the cats (further back than stock) or because the are just not efficient enough.

Not sure what you mean by the sensors being too close together, seems like there should be enough room..

You could try sealing those bungs and having new ones installed to have more space for the nonfoulers, or maybe try a set of Bassani high flow cats. Mine are capable of passing inspection, but that is with factory manifolds.

Or look for a shop and do the inspect under the table...

Rear O2s COULD be bad, but I doubt it. I dont know the code numbers, but if the code is for insufficient catalyst, the sensors are fine.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by red96v6
Failed the first time for rear O2s being off in the tune, code is now on for insufficient catalyst probably.

This may be because of the location of the cats (further back than stock) or because the are just not efficient enough.

You could try sealing those bungs and having new ones installed to have more space for the nonfoulers
Correct, the first time you went in, the O2's were off, so you failed. They have to be "on" to pass OBDII inspection.

You are getting codes because they are now turned on, but the cats just aren't cutting it. To pass OBDII inspection there can't be any codes.

Sometimes non-foulers work, sometimes they don't. So, yes, you can try having new bungs welded in and see what happens, but there is no guarantee. Doubled non-foulers did not work for me with Kooks headers and Kooks hi-flo cats. I ended up having to get Kook's new "Green Cats". Now I have no codes and pass inspection with flying colors.

Last edited by jpplaw; 05-31-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:49 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The rear catalyst threshold values which cause p0430 and p0420 can be changed or turned off by the tuner; that's the easiest solution.
The codes are caused from the high-flow cats; very common issue as you've probably found out from searching. In addition to anti-foulers, there's some special circuitry that can be used to simulate the rear cat signal sufficient enough to prevent the pcm from throwing the codes
Old 06-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Bigplans87

Thanks for the idea's everyone, even with the very close proximity I was finally able to install 1 anti-foulers on the drivers side and 2 anti-foulers on the passengers side. Unfortunately, both my po420 and p0430 codes are still popping up. I called again to Bama tuning who said no more adjusting could be done to my tune through them with my SCT tuner. Now I have called around to some local dyno shops who are confident with their direct tuning I can have this issue fixed. I will update again if/when the local dyno shop is able to fix for me to pass here in North Carolina. On the bright side I get my car dynoed for the first time
Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Bigplans87

Update: I took my car to local performance shop - Pro Dyno and got the car retuned. Car has passed inspection and is good to go not to mention better tune. All is well and I am back in action