Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FWIW - Installed a JVC KW-R500 in an '05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:31 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default FWIW - Installed a JVC KW-R500 in an '05 GT

I'm not totally a "wrench" but I've gotten by with doing quite a few things myself over the years, and at 66 I've had a few of them. I replaced the stock "Shaker 500" because I was tired of it skipping and not finishing a track, I have really good ears and those things and such irritate me all to hell. I ride a motorcycle and wear earplugs for protection.

Just wanted to say the radio looks great in the dash, sounds great to the ears. I was looking for something not too trashy, not to obnoxious. Got it from Crutchfield for about $150 and after a couple of days of coming to grips with doing it myself, and knowing if I screwed up that the car might be down and out for a bit, or, maybe I'd really **** myself off scratch and damage something. (Years and years ago I had a new radio and amp installed in a BMW and the damned installer REALLY chewed up the rocker panels or whatever you call them with, apparently a belt) My GT with 8 years and 65k plus miles still has pristine rocker panels. I had another installer, same car, different radio, user a power screw driver and put holes into my damned A/C system!

Anyway it was worth it. Wasn't too bad, but some of those new fangled "canon plugs" sure put up a battle in getting them disconnected. I admit, it did take awhile! Radio looks and sounds great there and one thing I like is that you can adjust the color of the display and buttons to what you want which I mostly want to be in the vicinity of Green to match the rest of dash. But, I'm kind of wondering what it would be like in Red in night.

So, like I said, FWIW.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yes a radio upgrade is always a nice thing! get some pics up
Old 06-09-2013, 06:32 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
Yes a radio upgrade is always a nice thing! get some pics up
Well, learned something about my camera today. I tried this the other day and the files were too big, today I learned out to re-size the files. These two pictures were taken before I learned more about it. One picture shows a bit in the Display, it was in Demo mode. The other was moments later as it cycled. Right now, unseen by the camera, the Display and the Buttons are both in a Green color, similar to the dash at night.
Attached Thumbnails FWIW - Installed a JVC KW-R500 in an '05 GT-cimg3963.jpg   FWIW - Installed a JVC KW-R500 in an '05 GT-cimg3961.jpg  

Last edited by algregory; 06-09-2013 at 06:35 PM.