Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fitting for Trans Flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default Fitting for Trans Flush

So, I get all of my oil changes done at the same shop. It's rolling up on 100K sometime this year and I want to do a full flush. Coolant, diff, Trans. The shop I go to says they can do everything but the Trans because all of the newer fords have a fitting that they don't have. Sealed system and all.

I don't buy the whole "Life of the car" BS. I want it changed. Period. I got an auto and I don't want to buy a new tranny in the future so I want the fluid changed.

However, I DO NOT want to go to a dealer. Which is what my shop suggested, as they will have the fitting. But I don't want a $200 dollar service to cost $400 because some kid that went to Lincoln Tech and wears "Ford" on his shirt is doing the work.

Do I really need to go to the dealer for this? Can I perhaps buy the fitting myself?

Any ideas guys?

And I assume Motorcraft trans fluid but any opinions on that? Amsoil perhaps?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Forget the flush, just do a fluid and filter swap. There is DIY write up on how to do it. I bought the fitting off amazon for under $10 and the filter was not much more. Its quite simple to drop the trans pan and change the filter. Using a handpump to pump back in the 5 or so quarts of fluid was the only difficult part. Only because your on your back with a crappy handpump.....it takes time and your arms will cramp up. Adding a transpan with a dipstick will solve that completely. You then add the fluid via the dipstick. You can buy a deeper pan or the same size stock one with a dipstick......very nice mod.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...sion-pans.html

Search online and you can find these items cheaper.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:09 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

as far as pumping stuff into those things (I had experience with a rear-end), I bought a cheap weed sprayer and cut the hose near the end and the filter type fitting in the tank, pump it up and let it go until you need to pump it up some more. I think dexron III is the recommended fluid.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Motive products makes a nice fluid pump that you can charge with air (or manually pump) and it has a valve built in to shut off the flow when you want. Obviously alot more expensive than what danzcool used.
I agree with 808 - I would change the pan out for one with a dipstick. I actually did, based on 808's recommendation, and its great.
Our cars use Mercon V. There is Amsoil in mine
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Having just been introduced to this part, what did y'all pay for your pans? And where did the dipstick route to under the hood?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 AM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFitz
So, I get all of my oil changes done at the same shop. It's rolling up on 100K sometime this year and I want to do a full flush. Coolant, diff, Trans. The shop I go to says they can do everything but the Trans because all of the newer fords have a fitting that they don't have. Sealed system and all.

I don't buy the whole "Life of the car" BS. I want it changed. Period. I got an auto and I don't want to buy a new tranny in the future so I want the fluid changed.

However, I DO NOT want to go to a dealer. Which is what my shop suggested, as they will have the fitting. But I don't want a $200 dollar service to cost $400 because some kid that went to Lincoln Tech and wears "Ford" on his shirt is doing the work.

Do I really need to go to the dealer for this? Can I perhaps buy the fitting myself?

Any ideas guys?

And I assume Motorcraft trans fluid but any opinions on that? Amsoil perhaps?
I will be a 100% honest with you a second that you take it to the dealer. The process they use to service the autos is specialized. Basically they remove the trans fluid and replace it with the rotunda tool and if you don't have the tool or try to jerry rig it chances are very high you will be replacing your trans in short order. Just eat it and bite the bullet and take it to a (here is the key) good dealer with an excellent service department. If you see a bunch of fresh out of high school kids doing anything but washing and vacuuming the vehicles then make a run for it.