Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help Me Pick Some Axle-Backs PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default Help Me Pick Some Axle-Backs PLEASE.

NOTE: I can't remember how to update my signature, but I'm asking this question with regard to a 2012, Mustang GT I recently picked up (not the '07 as in my sig.).

That said, I'm itching to pull the trigger on some axle-backs, the rest is completely stock. I'm torn between Roush and Flowmaster (either American Thunder or Hushpower). From I've heard on youtube, I LOVE the sound of the Roush mufflers. But, I've also heard they are "obnoxiously" loud. I haven't came across anyone in person to hear for myself, so I was hoping for some of your opinions/feedback on the subject.

I found the American Thunders I had on my '07, to be alright and even a little on the tame side for me. That is, I would have liked them to have been a bit louder. However, I really don't want something that is crazy loud. It's just so hard to get a feel for them with only videos. Some sound crazy loud and others sound just right.

Please help...

(I had this posted in a more appropriate area, it wasn't seeing much activity however)
Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I chose Roush and love them. Loud but not too loud.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Roush IMO isn't obnoxious unless you have an off road setup. I like them, probably would have gotten them but I was cheap and at the time the gt500 was 250. Plus the whole long tube thing was in the plan at the time. I've also heard the flowmaster's have a tendancy to drone, second hand info though. The 700 $ ford racing exhaust sounds pretty good too, but its a bit more than the other systems. Go to mustang week, they had those mufflers on sale for 250. gt500 axlebacks are about as loud as the stock new edge mustangs, take a lot of the edge out that hushpower and roush exhaust have.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Both would sound good to me. The ROUSH mufflers are louder, but it depends on how soft or loud you want them. It's hard asking others for help on exhaust, being your the one who has to live with them. I have MACs on my GT, and Flowmasters on the wifes Mach1, and both have a great sound that's not annoying. I hope you're happy with whatever you choose.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 PM
DarDan76

I'm 78 years young and I put some axle backs on my 2011 GT, bought them through Brenspeed and they were made by Borla for Steeda. The type are the touring mufflers. They are the best sounding I have found yet. Standing behind it, they are a little loud but mellow. I can barely hear them in the car unless you stand on it.
They remind me of the big glasspacks I used on my flatheads years ago.
I'm not sure if they are still available but I know you will like them from what you said on your post. they set me back about $650. All stainless steel
Old 07-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Diode Dynamics
Sponsor

I have SLP axlebacks on mine, they sounded great before and after I put longtubes and an OR/X pipe on. If you want the thrashier higher pitch tone you have to get a resonator tip or muffler delete style.

You have to determine if you want a deeper growl or a racier high pitched sound

-Nick C.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Cribby

Hello seniorsmith,

I had a 2012 GT with the Ford Racing 49 state kit and loved them. I got tons of compliments on it as well. I have a video I posted that allows you to hear it but it doesn't really do it justice. This was the axle back kit and the part number is in one of the two videos I did.

I have a 2014 GT now and just recently purchased the Gibson setup and love it so far. Got a steal on it through Amazon for $279. Figured it would be nice to try something different that the "standards" that most people have, nothing against them but it is nice to sound different

Agree with others that it is ultimately up to you as the sound is all personal preference.

Good luck!

- James
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have a few different exhaust set up videos posted here.

www.youtube.com/midatlanticmustang
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Please people stop the madness. Do you think Carroll Shelby just tripped over a muffler and said hay, I'll put this one on? No Ford Engineers worked and tested till their ears bleed then they rested.

Some say get Corsia, Borla or FRPP? I believe they're all made in the same place as Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP).

I went middle of the road with FRPP axil back Sports $699, you can step down to GT-500 $300 or up to the $1200 Duel Tip monsters on the Shelby's.

Do you trust your Mother? Once on a visit home to the folks, my Mom said my car "purred". That was idling in the driveway, not WOT. Or as I would say it had a Stealthy cat-like menace to it.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i got ford racing..superb with zero drone

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick Some Axle-Backs PLEASE.