Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need advice on purchasing used 2005-2009 GT

Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Default Need advice on purchasing used 2005-2009 GT

Hey guys, new to Stangs here. I'm 19, and I've built 2 Jeeps and a Bronco, so I'm not unfamiliar with working on vehicles. I've done 4 lift kits and installed 2 exhaust systems just simple stuff like that besides general maintenance so I'm fairly mechanically competent and car savvy. That being said, these have all been higher millage older vehicles that I paid cash for 130k being the lowest milage. So I'm looking to get out of highly modified Jeeps and into a Mustang GT! I just have a couple quick questions...

What milage am I asking for trouble at? Right now the highest milage I'm looking at is 70k, but is that too much? (I know it depends on how it was taken care of) but are there any common problems with these engine at this milage? or should I shell out some extra dough (3k or so) for a 07 or 08 from a dealer with 30k miles? my price range is up to 19k, but lower is better of course!

I'm looking at a list of basic mods to get me started, CAI, Tuner, Gears, and Exhaust are all I have planned right now, is that a decent start? I'm new to modifying for power, not suspension travel I am still not decided on auto or manual. I like driving manual, but I have also heard autos can be faster especially on the strip, and that's a plus, not to mention the ease of driving one. Opinions on that?

Last question, my friend has an 07 v6 manual, how bad will a stock GT kill it?

Any other advice on buying a 05-09 GT used?? I'm all ears! I'm not too proud to think I know everything, or that a stock GT will be the fastest car ever, but compared to my lifted Jeeps and Bronco they'll be insane!

And just for fun a couple pics of my last 2 rides

Name:  20130424_091318.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20121004_154248.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  547.2 KB

Loved the Bronco, treated me better than either jeep or the dodge truck I owned before it, and it was a 94 with 160k miles!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!

One thing's for sure. You'll feel like you butt is dragging on the road in a Stang GT compared to your previous rides.
70K is not excessive for the 3V 4.6L, assuming fluids and filters were changed in a timely manner.
An 05-09 GT will respond very well to the mods you mentioned.
An auto can be as fast as a manual in these cars.
An 05-09 GT will destroy your friend's 07 V6 Stang assuming it doesn't have FI.

Some things to be aware of in the 05-09 GT's:
- Water leaking into the interior. Check for damp carpeting and mildew smell.
- Dodgy gauges.
- Sticking emergency brake.
- Defective fuel pump. Check for hesitation when initially accelerating after a longer cruise(20+ miles).
Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. The items to be aware of that ski mentioned are included in the laundry list of TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins). There is a link to them in the stickies but the waterleak issue, IMO, is a major one to be aware of.

The stock 4.6L lays down roughly 265 RWHP. A CAI & good custom tune will add about 20-25. As far as exhaust, unless you go with LT's, you won't gain much playing with axlebacks or catbacks. 4.10's are a trip providing you're not driving highway much. But I'd talk to the guys that track to get some insight into shift points.

Depending on where you are, some '05s and '06s can be had for $10k - $13k. Although Ford was slow to resolve the TSB issues, the 07's and 08's fair a bit better not having as many of those issues.

Sweet jeep...
Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Oh, and cams with LT's can add another 25 or so RWHP, tune and other mods dependent. And you'll slaughter a stock Pony with a stock GT.

Keep us posted on what you find and on your mods.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, I was unaware of the water leaking, that's good to look into. Yeah I'm looking for it to be a good daily driver, and reliable, that's why I'm looking into lower miles. The average decent price for one with 60-70k here is 14.5-16.5 and for one with 50-60k is 15-17, and under 50k 18+ is the normal price I've been finding. If I can get a low miles one for 18k I'll be happy! but a mid miles for 3k less might just be worth it
Old 06-02-2013, 06:46 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Prices in Utah are nuts. I got my 06 GT with 16k miles for $15.5k in 2009. Keep looking, dont rush at the first one you find. You will find a great deal if your patient. With the new 5.0s out there the 3v motors are in less demand.

Water leak is the big issue you want to avoid. Check carpet on passenger side for tell tale water marks. This 3v motor responds really well to mods. If you plan to drag race much and want to be consistant ie bracket racing get an auto. This setup is very good at the track. Good luck
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

yeah even the prices one state up in idaho drop significantly. if you think thats bad subarus go for even higher around here haha
Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I would look specifically for a 2008, they had some worth while revisions to them which fixed a lot of TSB issues. Only issues I Know of with the 2008 (and may not be wide spread) is the synchros in the manual transmissions going bad. In addition to the previous posts, I would ask about modifications and driving habits. I bought my 2005 Mustang GT convertible with the interior upgrade package, 4.10 gears, axle backs, 20" wheels, and a Bullitt grill for $19,000 on Craigslist with 38,000 miles on it in 2011 (went from an '05 v6 to the GT). Bought it from a 50 year old lady and couldn't have felt better about the previous owner.

What hasn't been mentioned is that the stock Motorcraft battery is crap, as well as most of the alternators. The batteries seem to have dies in the first few years so at this point, a 2005-2007 probably has a new battery, as long as it isn't Motorcraft, you'll be fine. For alternators, just plan on getting a PA Performance alternator (or go the cheap route and get one from Autozone). Both my v6 and v8 ran the stock batteries for 6 years and stock alternators for 7 years (v6) and still in my v8.

When considering 2005-2007 cars, I would also think of the bushings, shocks/struts, and springs. As the yget older and used, replacement is inevitable. The good news is, you should plan on getting polyurethane bushings, Koni shocks (adjustable preferred for track use), and lowering the car (new springs).

To touch on earlier posts:

Some things to be aware of in the 05-09 GT's:
- Water leaking into the interior. Check for damp carpeting and mildew smell.
- Dodgy gauges.
- Sticking emergency brake.
- Defective fuel pump. Check for hesitation when initially accelerating after a longer cruise(20+ miles).
I believe the water leak issue was resolved with a manufacturing process change some time in 2007
Gauges, I believe were a 2005-07 issue
Emergency brake sticking was resolved by a revised e-brake line and rubber boot (was sticking because moisture would enter through a cracked boot freeze the line and rust it). Think this was also fixed by 2008
Fuel pumps were also an early production problem 2005-2007, but if you go forced induction you'll want to upgrade anyways, I still have the stock fuel pump in both the 2005 v6 and 2005 GT.

If you want to follow the story of my 05 to get some ideas and see some of the things I've done, check out this link: https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...e-project.html
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I believe the water leak issue was resolved with a manufacturing process change some time in 2007
Gauges, I believe were a 2005-07 issue
Emergency brake sticking was resolved by a revised e-brake line and rubber boot (was sticking because moisture would enter through a cracked boot freeze the line and rust it). Think this was also fixed by 2008.
Fuel pumps were also an early production problem 2005-2007...
All of these problems affected the 08 and 09 GT's. However, they were not as prevalent as with the 05-07 GT's.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

good info, thanks. keep it coming! I have a motorcycle I should be selling this week and my Jeep before the end of the month then it's time to shop for GTs! I'm thinking auto almost just because there are so many more available around my area, so I would have a better selection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on purchasing used 2005-2009 GT