Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You guys with 20 inch wheels must have money to burn. I like ultra high performance summer tires and with the way i drive, I'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of this set, but they are less than $600 for 4. I can only imagine what they would cost in a 20 inch.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranzo
I daily drive my mustang and take it really everywhere. Mountains, across country, to the zoo, everywhere. It's my grocery getter. Not concerned about track performance, can always swap wheels/tires.

Plan on running S/Ced with 4.10s to cure the sluggishness off the line but I want to make sure the only people that run 20s aren't just weekend cruisers or good weather riders before I hit the "Buy Now" button.

Currently on oem 19s with oem rubber and my girlfriend says the ride is fantastic. She easily slept through our 2 hour vacation drive. I'm thinking the loss going to 20s will be more than tolerable. ALL feedback is welcomed.
I drove 20's for over a year and a half with my car and ride comfort and traction was awful despite having 295 rears. Went to 18's and don't regret it one bit.

Also, the 20's are ridiculously expensive.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I drove 20's for over a year and a half with my car and ride comfort and traction was awful despite having 295 rears. Went to 18's and don't regret it one bit.

I have 18's in the front and 19's in the back. Judging by the way 19's feels, I think on 20's I would have to visit a dentist every week.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 AM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
You guys with 20 inch wheels must have money to burn. I like ultra high performance summer tires and with the way i drive, I'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of this set, but they are less than $600 for 4. I can only imagine what they would cost in a 20 inch.
Actually quite the opposite. I wanted to stick with my 19s. They don't make too many wheel options in 19 though and the tires are more expensive. The 'new' wheel options are mostly in 20s unfortunately and also come with cheaper tires I guess due to demand. I would LOVE to find 19s in a style I like but have searched endlessly to no avail.

Originally Posted by JCON

It's funny because every other person feels almost exactly opposite. One will say the ride quality is fantastic and traction increased then another will say it was terrible. Too bad there isn't a place they would make me a custom wheel.. wouldn't care about the cost.

Originally Posted by defiance
I have 18's in the front and 19's in the back. Judging by the way 19's feels, I think on 20's I would have to visit a dentist every week.
I have 19s all around and being completely honest everyone I've taken in the car along with myself feel the ride quality is absolutely incredible (for a mustang). Zero complaints. I'm not trying to talk myself into the 20s, still looking for options and feedback before I pull the trigger, but I don't think I'll be pulling my hair out with 20s.. at least I sure hope not while this is my DD..
Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

There are places who will but you're looking at the cost of a built blown motor for a set of wheels...

Low profile tires in no way creates comfort, anyone who says it does is either lying to themselves or doesn't actually care. It also decreases traction because there is no give in the side wall under torque. Why do you think all race cars have medium to high profile tires?for what it's worth, I wouldn't buy the 20's unless you keep a back up set to use for daily driving. The only thing I regret about selling mine is that I don't have them for parades. Other than that, I love that going of railroad tracks or a bump in the road doesn't make the car shutter anymore. You'd think a crack in the road was a small animal under my wheel.

You need to find someone on 20's and go for a drive.

I guess my ride comfort experience is different coming from VW/Audi sedans to a Mustang.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Why does Shelby, Saleen, and Ford (new GT500) use 20's on those cars? I am putting a set of 20's on my car right now, but i must admit it is mostly for the fact that i couldn't find any 18's that i liked that will clear the Brembo brakes. I figure if all of them are using them, they cant be that bad. Full disclosure, my car is not my DD.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranzo
Actually quite the opposite. I wanted to stick with my 19s. They don't make too many wheel options in 19 though and the tires are more expensive. The 'new' wheel options are mostly in 20s unfortunately and also come with cheaper tires I guess due to demand. I would LOVE to find 19s in a style I like but have searched endlessly to no avail.

It's funny because every other person feels almost exactly opposite. One will say the ride quality is fantastic and traction increased then another will say it was terrible. Too bad there isn't a place they would make me a custom wheel.. wouldn't care about the cost.

I have 19s all around and being completely honest everyone I've taken in the car along with myself feel the ride quality is absolutely incredible (for a mustang). Zero complaints. I'm not trying to talk myself into the 20s, still looking for options and feedback before I pull the trigger, but I don't think I'll be pulling my hair out with 20s.. at least I sure hope not while this is my DD..
To be honest I am sure my ride could benefit hugely from getting new struts and shocks, as current ones have 133k miles
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Ski
Why does Shelby, Saleen, and Ford (new GT500) use 20's on those cars? I am putting a set of 20's on my car right now, but i must admit it is mostly for the fact that i couldn't find any 18's that i liked that will clear the Brembo brakes. I figure if all of them are using them, they cant be that bad. Full disclosure, my car is not my DD.
It's called "satisfying consumer demand" and the fact that 20's can add significant eye appeal for a lot of prospective buyers.

You'll note that the Boss 302, the car Ford pushed as their track/handling monster did not offer 20's, and on the newest GT500, 20's are not stock, they're an option for those that want them.

I guarantee you, if a large portion of the buying public got it into their heads that 22's were the height of awesome, you'd be seeing cars from Shelby and Saleen rolling on those too. Making a buck requires delivering what the public wants/expects on a peformance car (or does anyone actually think stripes, trunk spoilers, rumbly exhaust notes, etc make the car perform better?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Agreed, Torch Vert. But i did just check the Ford website and the 20 inch rear wheels are standard on both the hardtop and convertable GT500. One thing i could never figure out though are all of the people griping about the weight difference on the 18 vs 20's. I actually weighed the difference in mine from stock bullit 18's to my Shelby CS40's and the difference was only 3 lbs on the fronts and 8 lbs on the rears. Not a big enough difference to grip about, unless we are at the track.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Ski
Agreed, Torch Vert. But i did just check the Ford website and the 20 inch rear wheels are standard on both the hardtop and convertable GT500. One thing i could never figure out though are all of the people griping about the weight difference on the 18 vs 20's. I actually weighed the difference in mine from stock bullit 18's to my Shelby CS40's and the difference was only 3 lbs on the fronts and 8 lbs on the rears. Not a big enough difference to grip about, unless we are at the track.
You're right on the rears. Forgot that on the newest model...

You also have to take one more thing into account with wheel weights besides the direct scale measurement. A lot of a wheels mass in any wheel is in the rim portion. Even if an 18" and 20" wheel are exactly the same weight, the 20" will be somewhat harder to get turning or stop due to the rim mass being farther out from the center of rotation (think a figure skater spinning and either drawing her arm mass closer to the body and speeding up or stretching out her arms and slowing down).

Of course in the case of the current GT500, one can certainly spare a few ponies to the wheel mass. Not like there's a shortage

Quick Reply: Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?