Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI install with aftermarket ram air hood?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Jonjonbear

Default CAI install with aftermarket ram air hood?

Hello all,
Just had a Cervini concept ram air hood put on my '05 GT. Also installed was the ram air kit which has the ducting on the hood and the snout that is mounted to the stock airbox. I am trying to figure out if I can add a CAI to the car with an aftermarket hood. It appears that the plastic "box" on the CAI units must be made to contour the stock hood so not sure how it would work. I am thinking that because of the ducting, the hood may be lower and would hit the CAI "box". Has anyone tried to do this? Perhaps you can trim the height of the CAI box?
Seems like the ram induction hood along with a CAI would be a great improvement, just don't want to spend the money if it would be a huge project to make it fit.

Thanks,

John
Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Try calling AM or Brenspeed and see if they're familiar with that setup. Personally, I don't believe that you'll see any additional gain from the ramair setup if you had an existing CAI & tune. The additional airflow under the hood may help a bit with heat soak problems that these S197's are so noted for, though.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

You would have to do major surgery to use the Cervini ram air kit with a CAI. Believe me I tried it when I was using a Steeda CAI. Figured just getting some cooler outside air in the general vicinity of the CAI could do nothing but help because the Type IV hood I have does not even come close to sealing against the top of the CAI shield (now an Airaid). I let the scoops just ventilate into the engine bay but I have considered cutting off the funnel part of the ram air duct so that it just directs air toward the CAI general area.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Jonjonbear

Originally Posted by jpplaw
You would have to do major surgery to use the Cervini ram air kit with a CAI. Believe me I tried it when I was using a Steeda CAI. Figured just getting some cooler outside air in the general vicinity of the CAI could do nothing but help because the Type IV hood I have does not even come close to sealing against the top of the CAI shield (now an Airaid). I let the scoops just ventilate into the engine bay but I have considered cutting off the funnel part of the ram air duct so that it just directs air toward the CAI general area.
Well just my luck. I suspected that would be the case given the CAI's look like they are shaped to the stock hood. Would be nice if you could get a larger, smoother tube to replace the stock one. Another issue I see with putting in a CAI would be water coming into the hood openings and into the filter. The stock filter box required the drain hole to be enlarged and the Cervini inlet enters below the filter so any water forced into the ram air would drain safely away. A CAI with the filter exposed would likely get drenched.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

With just open scoops, my filter gets a little wet but not enough to cause any problems. I rigged some screen in the scoop openings so maybe that breaks up the water too.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Jonjonbear

Quick question, when you installed the CAI with the ram air kit installed, did your hood (or rather the ram air duct) then hit the CAI or would it not seal against the ram air duct? Just curious what the initial condition is with both items installed intact.
Just noticed that your hood is different, mine is the concept hood that is more flat with the scoops recessed so my hood would be lower to the engine if that would matter..

THanks,

John

Last edited by Jonjonbear; 08-14-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

The ram air duct hit the CAI shield. Tried trimming the shield but it still interfered. Kept doing that until it got to the point that there was not much more I could trim. I believe all of the ram air ducts are the same no matter which hood you have. Yours might hang down even further with the concept hood. It is the "funnel" part of the duct that is the problem.