Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need a more quiet exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Flyinrazrback

Default Need a more quiet exhaust.

I bought a 2013 GT that already had a set of American Racing long tube headers, catless x-pipe and flow master exhaust. I think the flowmaster is the american thunder as it is a full muffler not like the outlaws. The problem is this setup is extremely loud, especially at highway speeds and the drone in the 2000-2300rpm range is almost unbearable (3.73 gearing) and makes road trips horrible and hard to listen to the radio. Is there a more quiet muffler option out there to replace these flowmasters that will not rob the power and does not have the drone these flowmasters have?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

It's the cats, you have no mufflers. If you toss a catted x-pipe in it will quiet down.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Flyinrazrback

These are the mufflers on the car.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...back-13gt.html

Are you saying these are essentially flow through offering no muffling?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:50 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flyinrazrback
These are the mufflers on the car.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...back-13gt.html

Are you saying these are essentially flow through offering no muffling?
The lack of cats is making it louder. I agree with Doc and would try a catted midpipe first. The cheapest solution would probably be to have some cats cut in to what you have. I think high flow cats would only run you a couple hundred plus install.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I have the opposite problem I have no mufflers with my Stainless Works Reto Exhaust. It's not loud enough I want my V8 rumble at idle. I have stock cat's they are the best damn mufflers I have ever seen and I want them gone. To much restriction of airflow, they are coming out next spring along with my stock headers. So the air must flow.

But I am just use to my 72 Mach1 which has no cats, and flowmaster 90s on it where I hear and feel that fire breathing monster 351 Cleveland idling.

Hell if I had the ability to have my car not running for a few weeks id say I would trade you my stock headers and midpipes. However it's my DD so I can't really have it down for a few weeks.

Last edited by DocSnickers; 08-13-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Flyinrazrback, you might look into one of the Dynomax axle backs (if they make them for the new 2013's), Dynomax mufflers would be a lot quieter than flowmasters, especially if they have a Super Turbo version.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:32 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Best thing you can do for the sound when you have no cats is to add some mid mounted resonators......like pypes m80s. They will stop the drone, trumpeting and really deepen the tone.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Flyinrazrback

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Best thing you can do for the sound when you have no cats is to add some mid mounted resonators......like pypes m80s. They will stop the drone, trumpeting and really deepen the tone.
Thanks, so add these to my system and keep my flowmasters?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I added mid-mounted Magnaflows when I did my headers and the amount of extra muffling they do is minimal at best...They are a straight through core with maybe 1" of packing on either side. They don't do much. They also did nothing to my drone as far as I can tell.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Flyinrazrback

Thanks, the folks at American Muscle think that maybe changing out the flowmasters for the Ford racing mufflers made by Borla might do the job as the reports with that system do not have the drone others do.

Quick Reply: Need a more quiet exhaust.