Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hopefully easy question regarding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:22 PM
4LSlvr
1st Gear Member

Default Hopefully easy question regarding brakes

So, a simple brake change has turned into retarded amounts of money, and time spent doing this. This is my first time changing brakes on my mustang. Done several other cars before this though.

On the front pads, there are little clips, what on earth do these do... No amounts of googling has yielded a result.

I originally bought Napa brakes to put on the car to save a dime. Then, checked my rotors, needed to have them turned, so i took em in, and there wasnt enough to turn... OK fine! called 4 different dealers to see if they had rotors, 1 had fronts, 1 had rears, another had 0, and the mustang store had a set of take offs.

Turns out the dealer with fronts didnt really have fronts. OK, drove the 20 miles home to the mustang store got the takes offs, went to the other dealer got the rears and said to hell with it and bought the ford motorcraft OEM pads. Took the Napa ones back and said righty oh off to work we go.

Finally got the rears done, and the spongy peddle resolved, with no less than a 2 dozen foul words with my son asking "daddy what does that mean" and at least 6 broke knuckles!

On to the fronts! OEM Motorcraft brake pads, heres my dilemma, the little clips, only about half of them were on. the other half were floating loose. Tried using a clamp to press em on, and got one side sorted... Now im on hte last two pads and cant get these things to stay on! Are the needed, how can i get this resolved...

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the rant!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:52 PM
JimC

I'm not sure what clips you are referring to. Are they the little spring like clips on the pads themselves? They are there for anti-rattle and to help hold the pads in place and return them after braking. But I had no problems with a set of Hawk pads that those clips broke off of when I was installing them (even with drag strip passes on them).

There are other clips that are small bent pieces of metal that go in the caliper to allow the pads to slide easier. They fit into slots on the caliper.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 PM
4LSlvr
1st Gear Member

the ones on the pads themselves. i ended up getting them to hold for now. But if you used a set of pads without the clips, then i wont worry to much if they pop off or something.

Cars back together after a day driving, and a day being hungover doing brakes!

Car washed, getting ready to wax and put her to bed!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

You need to take her to Midas if your fingers
have that much damage from a brake change...

What would you do if all of a sudden you and
your boy could not stop one day?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Anti rattle clips. Some of mine popped off. No biggie your fine.