Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT traction - standard vs track pkg

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 AM
torinalth

Default GT traction - standard vs track pkg

OK, so I'm holding off getting a new GT until they announce the 2015 to see if I want to wait and get that one. But with the spy photos of the interior dropping, I'm less of a fan. So, I'll probably get a 2014.

With that said, I'm concerned about the traction of the GT. I am wanting to get one with the track package, which comes with 3.73 gears. I am typically a kind test driver so I don't rag the car much. Doing it this way I am not able to get a true feel for the ability to keep traction.

I've heard that after some mods (intake, tune,TB) gears 1-2 are useless. is this actually true? after the tires wear I'd plan on 275s to replace them, but is this enough? will the 3.73s just be problematic if I go full bolt on, or even more if I supercharge? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Torinalth
Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 AM
barryg
1st Gear Member

It amazes me how many people want to throw $$$ into these cars with performance mods.

My opinion only of course: Get the GT w/track package and 3.73s if you must have a manual and hopefully your manual transmission doesn't have issues. And keep it stock and be done with it. The GT needs no mods. It even sounds great out of the box.

I used to throw perf mods at cars that could use more power..etc. GT needs none. And I know people mod Z06s and so they can get to 600hp...etc. I just don't get it unless you're drag racing your car or tracking it alot......and still I wouldn't do it. It just seems like a waste of time and money that could potentially introduce problems to the car.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 AM
torinalth

well, thanks for your opinion.... but anything relevant to my question?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I'm with barryg about it's hilarious people plan to buy a 400+hp car and talk like that isn't enough. $100,000 Supercars didn't have this kind of power 15 years ago.
Go check out the time slips section here, then look at those people's mods list in their sig. Get those suspension mods done to your car. Then start throwing more power at it.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

2012 GT Brembo's and 3.73's here. When the weather is warmer the factory 255 (summer only) Pirellis aren't too bad, but below 60* traction becomes more limited.
As far as whether the car has enough power or not is all opinion. I like it the way it is but will add a tuner in the future.
Remember traction is based on how hard you drive the car, keep it civil and there wont be any issues.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torinalth
OK, so I'm holding off getting a new GT until they announce the 2015 to see if I want to wait and get that one. But with the spy photos of the interior dropping, I'm less of a fan. So, I'll probably get a 2014.

With that said, I'm concerned about the traction of the GT. I am wanting to get one with the track package, which comes with 3.73 gears. I am typically a kind test driver so I don't rag the car much. Doing it this way I am not able to get a true feel for the ability to keep traction.

I've heard that after some mods (intake, tune,TB) gears 1-2 are useless. is this actually true? after the tires wear I'd plan on 275s to replace them, but is this enough? will the 3.73s just be problematic if I go full bolt on, or even more if I supercharge? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Torinalth
The track pack does come with 3.73s but it also has a Torsen differential that the Boss 302 has. It also has the Boss radiator and oil cooler as well. So if you track the car, you already have some important pieces to help protect the engine. The diff makes a difference on the track and autocross. I haven't tracked them but I noticed a huge difference when I autocrossed both my GT and a Boss. I have 3.73s and I have no problem on the street in first. Just have to ease in to it. I also get ~26 mpg hwy at 70 if that matters.

Traction problems usually increase with added horsepower...at least from my experience. My focus has been on suspension since I bought my '13. Nothing like having 420hp and being able to use most, if not all of it. Hopes this answers your question.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i for one have a different opinion. no matter what, youll never have enough power. The 2011 gt i have has the 6speed MT with 3.73s and i can get a decent amount of traction. I can consistently chirp the tired in 3rd and rarely in 4th. It does have alot of power (412hp from the factory is great!) but theres nothing wrong with adding more. I will agree that you could always throw more suspension mods t it first to hook up better.

Maybe some sticky tires out back, control arms, strut and shock braces, sway bars.. etc. just stuff that will really stiffen and plant the ride. I plan on staying N/a but plan full bolt ons and will probably hit 450rwhp, which is amazing for all motor!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:33 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

First off...wow...those 2015 interior spy shots look like ***! I can't help but to think that they're a joke, and they are really photos of a 2015 pickup truck interior.

I think you're going to have traction problems with any RWD car that has the amount of HP and torque that the Mustang does. That being said, traction control and sticky tires help to tame it for daily driving. I'd put your money in to upgrading the suspension before the engine, but that's just me.

If you're frightened by wheelspin or used to AWD you might want to look at different new car options.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by torinalth

Torinalth
Go test drive one. That's all I can tell you.

I like RWD but if you are used to AWD like your Subaru, you'll need to relearn your driving habits as the cars will react differently to gas pedal and braking input, especially in cornering.

Tires make a huge difference in confidence. I had BFG OEM on my car then went with PIrelli OEM when the BFG wore out. I hated the car while I had the Pirellis on there. Zero confidence in the handling as the breaking point of the traction was very unpredictable.

Then I finally burned through those and have Dunlop Direzzas on there now. Night and day improved difference. The cars traction is much more predictable. Yes I still break traction but I know what he car is going to do when it does and I can better control it or avoid it.

So, while it will be easier to break traction in a RWD vs AWD, if you learn how to drive RWD, I believe you will have just as much if not more fun.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

I don't know how the 19's with summer pirellis handle but if you are unsure about traction then completely avoid the base gt's 18s with all season pirellis, especially with any mods. I just have a tune and My all season Pirelli 18s will spin/howl 2nd at 40mph. Loads of fun when someone tries to race you and you blow by them squealing your tires but not great for traction, lol.

Quick Reply: GT traction - standard vs track pkg