Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Magnapacks vs SSS Video...Opinions

Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Magnapacks vs SSS Video...Opinions

Current Full setup is: blower, cams, longtubes, offroad H, cherry bomb glasspacks and pypes m80s and SSS Adrenalines. Both resonators are mid mounted.

I was able to score some mint condition Magnaflow Magnapack axlebacks from a forum member recently and got them installed today. I was very happy with my SSS Adrenaline's but the reputation of the magnapacks had me intrigued to give them a shot. Their reputation is that they are loud and to my surprise they were bigger than the SSS ones I currently am running, I thought they would have been smaller. At idle and cruising they appear to be slightly quieter than the SSS. At mid to full throttle they really come alive with that magnaflow rasp and burble tones when you let off the gas. I am racing this weekend so I am looking forward to a lot of WOT runs to really hear how they perform. Here are two videos. First is with SSS and second is with the magnapacks. SSS was recorded with a camara. Maggy was with my Droid phone. I should have used the camera with both but forgot it.

Feel free to offer your opinion. Both mufflers are the flow thru type.

Attached Thumbnails Magnapacks vs SSS Video...Opinions-img_20130918_164231_578.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Mufflers are kinda funny in that way...you expect one volume level and get another.

I have Hooker Aerochambers which are roughly equivalent to a 2-chamber. I scored a killer deal on a set of Edelbrock SDT axle backs, which are supposed to be equivalent to a 3-chamber, so I thought they might make for a quieter "road trip muffler." I put them on and I think they sound almost as loud as the aerochambers, just deeper. Kind of odd.

When my Aerochambers rust through on the outside I'll probably throw the Edelbrock's on there.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I raced with them this weekend. At WOT they are louder that's for sure. They kinda have that pop pop pop characteristic to them. Not sure if I like em yet for my setup.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

First one has the volume of my Bassani. Since there's no rasp I say the first advertises the cams much better.

On a side note, cars like yours with its awesome supercharger whine and cams thumping are a BAD influence on my money...makes it want to runaway and disappear.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:43 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

The Magnapacks definitely sound better, comparing the videos side by side.

I originally had an MBRP axle back right after I got my car, and I tried it with my high-flow catted H pipe...it was just too "blatty" for my tastes, that was why I ended up with a chambered muffler.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:30 PM
BLACK-MACHINE
1st Gear Member

those sound louder than my slp deletes. but its hard to tell without hearing them in person.
i like the ones in the first vid. it should be know i like loud, straight pipes on harley's for 30 plus years.