Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long Headers or Suspension upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 AM
davelev213

Default Long Headers or Suspension upgrade?

Im ready to do my next mod for my 07 auto GT convertible. I can afford to do one or the other right now and I wanted to get your opinion on which one I should do.

1. BBK long headers with shorty X-pipe w/ cats to go along with my Magnaflow axle backs. I like the Magnaflows but wouldn't mind it being a little louder. Am I going to see a big difference in performance and sound? Is it worth it for the money? I will have a shop to install them. I also have an airaid CAI with a Bama tune so I can have them give me a retune.

2. Eibach Pro-Kit to lower car and while Im at it going ahead and swapping out struts/shocks sway bars. Ill probably go ahead and order the whole Eibach kit if I do it or do you think I can get away with just springs? The car has 42000 miles on it. Also Im still running stock 17" wheels with Zeon RS3-A tires which I really like. I don't want to sacrifice too much ride quality. I want to get rid of wheel gap and tighten up handling. Please help me decide which one.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:20 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

It's hard to choose between LT's and Suspension because they both have very different benefits. So, I would ask yourself a few questions first.

- Are you happy with current acceleration of the car?
- Are you happy with the throttle response?
- Are you happy with the exhaust volume and tone?
- Are you happy with the current handling?
- Are you happy with the exterior looks as far as ride height?
- Are you happy with the comfort of the ride?

If you find yourself with an even amount of yes or no's across the board, then think about what you prefer more- power or handling?

Personally, I would invest into suspension. I feel the factory ride height on the S197's is just plain too tall. Lowering springs do wonders to the looks and handling. However, without upgrading the struts/shocks you're going to experience a rougher ride, as well as less handling.

If you're going with suspension and you care about the ride comfort you'll need to upgrade the follow components at the bare minimum.

- Eibach Camber Bolts
- Aftermarket Struts/Shocks
- Adjustable PanHard Bar
- New Alignment

It's wise to upgrade to adjustable LCA's, too. With a lower ride height, you'll lose the factory suspension's geometry and experience more wheel-hop. It will be much difficult to gain traction in a straight line.

Hope this info helps you out! If you need additional assistance, please let me know!

Shane
Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

That's a really tough question. I know personally for myself, the first thing I did on the car was swap out the nasty stock suspension. I'd probably suggest doing the same suspension set up, but yeah definitely look into getting some Eibach coilovers, those things are bad *** and ride REALLY well.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

I agree with the suspension upgrade!

I bought my car with some semi decent suspension mods and recently made a few changes. Car handles much better! I just need to do the LCA's next as I experience some wheel hop from time to time.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I did headers and kept stock suspension. Happy with it but personally I think you will notice the change from the suspension more. What I ended up with was a slightly faster car with the same average handling. You would end up with an awesome handling car that is decently fast.

Last edited by Ricardo; 11-27-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Take advantage of the Black Friday sales on BMR Suspension parts...15% off with free shipping from places like Hypermotive Performance, Team Beefcake-Racing, Street Lethal Performance, or direct from BMR. Also, save up and get Kooks, Stainless Works or American Racing headers...BBK is junk.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davelev213
Im ready to do my next mod for my 07 auto GT convertible. I can afford to do one or the other right now and I wanted to get your opinion on which one I should do.

1. BBK long headers with shorty X-pipe w/ cats to go along with my Magnaflow axle backs. I like the Magnaflows but wouldn't mind it being a little louder. Am I going to see a big difference in performance and sound? Is it worth it for the money? I will have a shop to install them. I also have an airaid CAI with a Bama tune so I can have them give me a retune.

2. Eibach Pro-Kit to lower car and while Im at it going ahead and swapping out struts/shocks sway bars. Ill probably go ahead and order the whole Eibach kit if I do it or do you think I can get away with just springs? The car has 42000 miles on it. Also Im still running stock 17" wheels with Zeon RS3-A tires which I really like. I don't want to sacrifice too much ride quality. I want to get rid of wheel gap and tighten up handling. Please help me decide which one.

I sell both of those, and I'd be happy to help you out with either, but my personal suggestion is to go with the suspension upgrades. You'll enjoy the suspension all the time, whereas the headers will only make themselves known at high RPMs at Wide Open Throttle, and even then, just a little...

Actually, we have the complete FRPP Handling Package new in the box on the shelf, and I've been meaning to list a special on that kit, but haven't yet. If you drop me a PM, I'll get you a GOOD price on that kit. (it's all FRPP, springs, shocks, struts, and strut mounts)
Old 11-29-2013, 11:22 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Take advantage of the Black Friday sales on BMR Suspension parts...15% off with free shipping from places like Hypermotive Performance, Team Beefcake-Racing, Street Lethal Performance, or direct from BMR. Also, save up and get Kooks, Stainless Works or American Racing headers...BBK is junk.
This is a good point! I should mention that we will also Price Match BMR's 15% off Holiday Sale. Simply shoot me a PM with the BMR products you're interested in and I'll have one of my best guys give you a call today to setup the Price Match and get the parts shipped out today!

Shane
Old 11-30-2013, 07:47 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have an 05 GT vert with Eibach Pro springs, Eibach camber bolt, and adding Eibach double adjustable rear lower control arms. I also have all ProThane bushings, ProThane front upper control arm mount, Whiteline ball joints and anti-bump steer kit, CHE A-Arm brace with torque limiters, strut tower brace, ProThane motormounts, and a Steeda radiator support. All that together means much better handling and I still need to add shocks and struts. An adjustable panhard bar was not necessary for me as my rear diff was still centered. My ride is pretty stiff though so if you want ride comfort, you're going to want to leave half of that out.

All that said, cheaper than all of that, I also have Mac longtubes, Mac off road ProChamber, and Bassani Race axelbacks. https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...o-results.html. Here is a write up that mod.

Over all I would set an amount of money you want to spend and try to do a little of both. I love the sound of my exhaust and like the look of my stance. What you have to think about is what you're doing with your car and gear it towards that. I also have 4.10 rear gears and staggered 18" AMR wheels wrapped in 255 and 275 Nitto 555's. A good set of tires can do more for handling and acceleration and braking than a combination of other parts such as a CAI and tune or brakes or exhaust or even light suspension mods. I would def recommend something gripper than the 555's. I've gotten a first gear launch pretty good with only a chirp but my 2nd gear wot is spin city. Hoping lower control arms help...

Just my $0.02
Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Long tubes on a stock engine... Oh yeah, what a gain!
Suspension first, always.

Quick Reply: Long Headers or Suspension upgrade?