Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

is the risk of a tune+cai worth the power gain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shinerttu
At first you pose a question which implies that tuning and CAI is a risky endeavor (one that you are debating) then you switch to "I'm going to get a s/c".... You talk about how you don't want to mess with a good thing and how you are not in the greatest of financial situations but then you switch to lets supercharge it and finance it... lol

I am in a similar situation as you. I just purchased my 08' GT and I just graduated college 1.5 years ago. I have a good job but it is taking more time than expected to save money with student loans and all... I use my GT as a daily driver and can't risk performing any mods that could lead to premature mechanical issues. That is why I am going to keep it simple until I have my car paid off or until I get another daily driver. I would not recommend ever financing car-parts..that's just silly (although I have put them on a CC before which is just as dumb). I am purchasing my exhaust this week, then for Christmas I am doing the CAI + tune. I have no fear of doing these mods as it has been well documented on this forum and others that these are reasonably safe mods. I would however, be hesitant supercharging a daily driver unless you can control your driving habits (I for one cannot.. chalk it up to immaturity).
ya i know, my mind races alot and im always jumping from one thing to another...i dont see my self getting a sc anytime soon, right now i have mostly been working on apperance mods.

i got a nice borla exhaust system, so probably will get cai+tune and then wait until I upgrade to a 5.0, ls3, or just keep my 4.6 forever. (its only 30k miles and fast enough for me tbh, i just want the extra HP to have it, and maybe floor it and feel the torque every once in a while)

it was fun when I first got it and scaring my girlfriend by flooring it, but now she is used to it so I need more power!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 AM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
it was fun when I first got it and scaring my girlfriend by flooring it, but now she is used to it so I need more power!
HAHA my gf actually braces herself when I turn knowing full well I am going to get her sideways, and braces her neck on straightaways

I'm getting the Borla Stinger exhaust (Ford Racing) this week so I'll be right there with ya!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I choose not to go with a tune for my 3.7, I do have a factory GMPP tune for my Solstice GXP.
The tune for the GXP does not void the warranty. If you have a tune for your Mustang it's a crap shoot to have warranty work done. Anything I do to my car will NOT result it making it less reliable, or reducing my peace of mind about reliability, warranties or passing emissions tests.
I wanted more performance from my 3.7, I went with better, wider tires (Nitto 555s) better anti-sway bars and rear links. Better brakes are on my list and an aluminum drive shaft.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Mustang **** is defined by loving anything that is mustang related. My wife will walk by and see I'm on the forum and say you love mustang ****
Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Yea I hear ya! This forum should be labeled NSFW because I've been spending too much time on here!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You are worried about the risk involved in a CAI and tune, but want to supercharge?

Supercharge not only requires a tune, but the tune better be solid or you're in for a world of hurt.
While the risk of aftermarket supercharging isn't enormous, it's much greater than just a friggin CAI and tune.

I take it you know VERY little about this stuff.
Your best route is to educate yourself a lot more before jumping into the modding world.
Otherwise you're in for a lot of trouble.

The story about the guy getting mod fever while knowing nothing, and ending up ten thousand dollars down the drain is an all too common story.