Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rev hanging=annoying!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Leroyx

Default Rev hanging=annoying!

So I've had my car for almost a month now and have noticed that it has this really annoying rev hang thing going on when shifting (5sp M). Actually the rpm's will rise slightly when the clutch is engaged and then hang there for a few seconds. This makes for a jerky shift not to mention sounds like a student driver learning to drive a stick.

I have done some research and found that this may have been programmed by ford for emission reasons to burn up fuel when the throttle is closed quickly. I have also read that it can be mostly corrected with a custom tune although most threads I have found where for either older models or 11+.

My question is what have other 2010 gt owners noticed and done to correct it? I was going to eventually get a custom tune after a few bolt ons but may have to go with a tune first as this is driving me nuts.

Love the forum, I find myself reading through threads for hours at a time!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Very strange that it does that. I've had two 06's and now this 11 and none have done that. I'm wondering if your throttle body may be dirty or something else might be going on because that definitely doesn't sound normal.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hopefully you get it worked out.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Mine does the same thing. I can't stand it. The SCT canned tune didn't fix it so I guess it's going to take the right custom tune. OP, let me know if you find one.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Leroyx

I'm going to see what responses I get here and also contact bama about one of their tuners and a custom tune to get ride of this. It sure ruins an otherwise fantastic driving and sounding car.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Leroyx

Originally Posted by speedycpu
Very strange that it does that. I've had two 06's and now this 11 and none have done that. I'm wondering if your throttle body may be dirty or something else might be going on because that definitely doesn't sound normal.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hopefully you get it worked out.
Most of the info and complaints I was able to find was about 11+ Model years, I guess you got lucky.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

mine runs perfect
auto though
Old 01-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Leroyx
I'm going to see what responses I get here and also contact bama about one of their tuners and a custom tune to get ride of this. It sure ruins an otherwise fantastic driving and sounding car.
Sounds good, keep me informed.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I suspect it's normal for the OE tune unless the TB needs cleaning. A custom tune should resolve that in addition to the added RWHP and improved throttle response.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Leroyx

That's what I have been hearing, it is an emission thing that supposedly burns up excess fuel when the throttle is closed abruptly. I had a civic si a few years back that did a similar thing. Honda had so many complaints about it they issued a TSB that was a reflash that reduced it so I was almost livable.

Good to know a custom tune may take care of it.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

My 2013 GT use to do it when it was stock, it went away after it was tuned. Besides the every so often if I am sitting at idle it will bounce up then go back down but I think that's normal always did that too. I did notice after I had turning done you can smell fuel at bit more as I guess its running richer.

Quick Reply: Rev hanging=annoying!