Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2013 Mustang OEM Tail Lights Assembly Illegal, Says the Police!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

Default 2013 Mustang OEM Tail Lights Assembly Illegal, Says the Police!

Got Pulled over this morning by the State Police after Leaving Cars and Coffee show. The young State police said, my window tint was too dark and my after market tail lights are too dark. I did not argue about the window tint but I have to explain to him that all 2013 Mustangs comes with tail lights assembly like that.

Not admitting he maybe wrong so he went on to say, maybe the dealership installed the aftermarket tail lights because they are known to do that sometimes. So with that, he will just give me a verbal warning on those. But went on ahead and handed me the window ticket because I failed the 50% VA law.

Anybody else got pulled over or cited by the Police for their OEM tail lights?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You blew it. Had you argued with him and told him he was wrong, we might have had the opportunity to see you on an episode of COPS.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You blew it. Had you argued with him and told him he was wrong, we might have had the opportunity to see you on an episode of COPS.
lol. Missed opportunity, I tell you.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

Mods: I may have put this in a wrong thread, please move it in the correct place if necessary. TIA.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

I got pulled over for sequential tail lights once bc I installed them as soon as they came out. But they let me go, just didnt know if they were legal or somethin like that. I also got pulled over for running wide tires 285/40/18 and they tried to tell me I have to run the tire width specified on the driver door jam... haha I laughed when they said to avoid any other trouble I needed to go to the DMV or something along those lines and get a new sticker. Cops love pulling you over for BS stuff if your car is modified
Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

I get a kick out of them looking for someone to harass.

About a year ago I got pulled over in my project car, which is a little slammed to the ground import with a straight pipe side pipe. Quiet is not a word that will ever be used to describe her.

It was a Statey who decided to follow me through a construction zone and pull me over afterward.

He was absolutely floored to see a full grown adult, in business attire driving around in a souped up pocket rocket.

I don't think he knew what to do after that but to tell me that I might want to rethink my exhaust strategy and have a great day.

It comes down to your age, and demeanor.

That is the only the second time in twenty years I have been pulled over, the other was for doing 47MPH through Deals Gap, in the same car right after they dropped the limit to 35MPH.

I was let go with a warning then too.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Are you sure you don't have tint on your tail lights?

I never get pulled over, but I do have a friend in my county who is a state trooper.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Are you sure you don't have tint on your tail lights?

I never get pulled over, but I do have a friend in my county who is a state trooper.
Pretty sure my tail lights has no tint, I've been to my dealership few times and all the 2013's and 2014 model has the same kind of tail lights. Besides, I don't know how is that possible to tint those tail lights.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

The tint thing, meh, okay. He got you. The tail lights? No way, not if they're stock. Sucks to hear the other stories posted here because it gives the rest of us law enforcement types a bad name (I swear I don't harass people for modified cars, because I have one...I only go after folks who are actually endangering the public). That cop needs to turn into a car guy ASAP, otherwise his job is going to be really hard...
Old 08-04-2013, 01:07 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I dont miss those VA State troopers since moving to Hawaii. No troopers in HI. The county cops seem to be car guys for the most part.

Getting pulled over for stock tail lights.......thats a first! Good luck OP.....I moved here from VA..... lets say I understand. LOL

Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang OEM Tail Lights Assembly Illegal, Says the Police!