Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

caliper cover help

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
blkgt08

Default caliper cover help

I bought mpg caliper covers and am having alot of fitment issues on the rears. The clips that hold the cover onto the caliper are grinding on the topside of the rotor and making a very loud squeal. Iv tried to bend the clips etc and its still in contact with the rotor. I have stock bullet 18's and drilled slotted rotors. Does anyone know how to fix the clearance issue or somehow install the covers without the clips? Iv ran out of ideas and would really appreciate any help
Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if I can help but I just installed mine this past weekend and had the same issues. I ended up redoing the rears last night. I was able to readjust them to a point where a piece of paper would slip through. Then I had to hold them in place while tightening them down. Didn't eliminate the noise but got rid of most of it. (The first attempt was so loud it was embaressing.)

I ordered new drilled/slotted rotors from AM yesterday so I figure will take them off next weekend anyway...

I will say that it is an extremely tight fit - and from I found many people have the same problem. Some said that sanding the clip down helped. Some others said they trimmed the clip down - not sure I would try that as it seems it would come off easier. If I have any issues next weekend with the rotor replacement I am going to try the sanding route.

Last edited by dkpGTCS; 01-13-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM
blkgt08

Im gonna try and sand them down as well. Someone I know notched their clips but they drive an Acura. All I know is its a pain in the *** and the noise is definitely embarrassing
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Have you tried calling them and see what they suggest?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:27 AM
blkgt08

I was planning on calling the manufacturer tomorrow
Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM
blkgt08

The manufacturer told me to raise my caliper...loosen the bolts and put two flat head screwdrivers beneath the caliper to raise it a bit and tighten the bolts back up. Is this actually possible or just a dumb idea?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i dont see how thats possible... the bracket is held on by 2 bolts as well as the caliper. Its in a fixed position.. unless im not fully understanding what they mean.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 PM
blkgt08

Exactly. I do my own brakes and do not at all see how that will fix the clearance issue. These covers are becoming a headache
Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blkgt08
Exactly. I do my own brakes and do not at all see how that will fix the clearance issue. These covers are becoming a headache
i had the same problem with the mgp covers on my old '10 gt. eventually i bent the clips to get them to work and they were fine ever since. sucks when you cant get something to work right.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blkgt08
The manufacturer told me to raise my caliper...loosen the bolts and put two flat head screwdrivers beneath the caliper to raise it a bit and tighten the bolts back up. Is this actually possible or just a dumb idea?
That's a dumb suggestion on their part. If you can do this it would pull some of the pad over the edge of the rotor. The pads could wear abnormally.

Long way to go for a caliper cover.

---

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: caliper cover help