Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pypes Pype bomb, SLP loudmouth, or Borla stingers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default Pypes Pype bomb, SLP loudmouth, or Borla stingers?

Hey everyone so I just got my Mustang and luckily it has some good cosmetic mods already done which means I can focus on other things. It still has the stock exhaust so that is the first thing that will be going. I did some searching on here and there wasn't anything that I saw that really answered my questions.

I was originally looking at a 2v mustang and I pretty much had my exhaust all picked out. I was planning on going with Stingers. However for some reason on the 3v it just seems to tame at least in the videos I have seen. So I started looking at SLP loudmouth muffler deletes and Pypes pype Bomb muffler delete. For the time being I just plan to do an axle back for now. Down the road that may change but that won't be for a while. and when I do change I will still have my cats since it is illegal to not run them here.

My questions are, is the Borla Stinger axle back really as tame as it sounds on videos or is it a pretty loud exhaust? And is the SLP worth an extra $70-100 over the Pypes pype bomb? Does it produce any better sound or anything like that, that would justify that extra money?

I want an exhaust that is fairly loud but deep without being obnoxious. And I want it to be a good sound. Does anyone have any experience with these 3, which do you prefer? and my last question is, as far as axle backs go do you guys recommend anything else that will do what I have explained that I want?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:37 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

It's illegal to go without cats in every state. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

To that end, I had Mac BoomTubes when everything was stock. They're very similar to the LoudMouths and regular, non-aggressive, driving still had people turning their heads. In my opinion, they were the best sounding exhaust for a car with cats. Once I went to off-road with long tubes, they were way too loud and the drone was awful.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:20 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The borlas sound great when you get into it. Not as loud as muffler deletes, but in no way tame!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by iMuf
Hey everyone so I just got my Mustang and luckily it has some good cosmetic mods already done which means I can focus on other things. It still has the stock exhaust so that is the first thing that will be going. I did some searching on here and there wasn't anything that I saw that really answered my questions.

I was originally looking at a 2v mustang and I pretty much had my exhaust all picked out. I was planning on going with Stingers. However for some reason on the 3v it just seems to tame at least in the videos I have seen. So I started looking at SLP loudmouth muffler deletes and Pypes pype Bomb muffler delete. For the time being I just plan to do an axle back for now. Down the road that may change but that won't be for a while. and when I do change I will still have my cats since it is illegal to not run them here.

My questions are, is the Borla Stinger axle back really as tame as it sounds on videos or is it a pretty loud exhaust? And is the SLP worth an extra $70-100 over the Pypes pype bomb? Does it produce any better sound or anything like that, that would justify that extra money?

I want an exhaust that is fairly loud but deep without being obnoxious. And I want it to be a good sound. Does anyone have any experience with these 3, which do you prefer? and my last question is, as far as axle backs go do you guys recommend anything else that will do what I have explained that I want?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hey,

Congratulations on your recent purchase, as someone that owned a 3v Mustang, I can personally say you will absolutely love it!

From what it sounds you are looking for, I would personally stick with the Borla system. A lot of the clips you find don't do justices to how awesome the stingers sound on these cars. If you can afford them, I personally believe that Borla makes the best sounding systems on the market. In person they will be a bit louder, and have a little deeper tone that the clips suggest.

The SLP and Pypes systems you are looking at are both great systems, but they tend to be a bit on the obnoxious side in some peoples opinion. They have very little sound deadening materials, and are very loud. If you want the most aggressive system you can get either of these would be the way to go, but judging by what it sounds you are looking for, I think the Borla is a better fit.

Keep in mind with whatever system you get, we offer a 6% discount to our forum members off their entire purchase. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions feel free to get back in touch with myself or contact our customer service team below my signature. Good luck!

-Dan
Old 03-07-2014, 06:24 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I have the Pypes catback and the fitment is awful. I will never buy Pypes again and am going to replace them as soon as I get back to the States.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:42 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ugh..another exhaust thread.:-)

Everybody has their favorite....you gotta get what you like best. I had stingers on my '06 GT vert. Loved the sound with the top down.....hated the sound with the top up. The drone was annoying as hell. I heard that Pype and loudmouths are also drone factories.

I switched to Corsa and love them; no drone, but they are plenty loud. Try to find some local cars to listen to, and perhaps ride in.....and then pick whatever you like best.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Corsa Sports are the best IMO. But cost led me to buy Bassani Race.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Grover_NC
3rd Gear Member

I ran the SLP's on mine for a short time and like the sound. Switched to Magnaflow muffler deletes and love them. The Magnaflow's have a little bit deeper sound.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I have some experience in exhaust setups, as I have re-done mine about 5 times now lol. My advice is to go mid-muffler. Either the pypes one or go to an exhaust shop and get it done custom. I currently have BBK equal length shorties, O/R H-pipe, mid mounted Magnapacks and Magnaflows axle back, it is deep and loud when I get on it but tame at idle.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

I had SLP on my 06. sounded great.that was until i did a o/r H pipe. then it was so loud under full throttle with the windows down i felt my eardrums were exploding.
On my 13 I went with the Pype bombs. fitment was great and they sound amazing. I was worried once i did the o/r H pipe...but its not ear shatteringly loud like SLP's on the 06 were. I get compliments on the sound all the time. My vote is for the pype bombs

Quick Reply: Pypes Pype bomb, SLP loudmouth, or Borla stingers?