Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone ever tint their own windows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:07 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default Anyone ever tint their own windows?

My car has all the glass tinted but the side windows and I'd really like to tint them as well. I know you can buy precut tint, and with frameless windows it seems like it'd be decently easy to install it. Is that a bad idea?

I have tinted some lights but nothing as big as a window...I do get the gist of using the water and squeegee and all that at least.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I've done it, but won't ever do it again. For the price you pay to have a professional install tint vs. buy materials and install on your own you won't save much. That's also if you don't mess something up and get it right the first time. Plus, if you go to the right shop they should have the best materials.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

I've done it many times. I too rather pay someone now that i can afford it. Today though, you can go on ebay and purchase pre-cut tint for your ride. Get good quality tint. Also look at YouTube videos on how to install. Wish all this was around 20+ years ago.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I paid $150 for my car, all the way around. No way I could do it as good as he did, plus he uses pro grade materials.

EDIT: I've done vinyl lettering and graphics in the past, but no way I would attempt windows myself. Too much can go wrong.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

tinting side windows isnt hard really. its the back window that i cant do. thats only reason I paid to have mine done. just use some lightly soapy water and spray the film really good so it cant stick to the window fully till you start to squeege it. I use to do all my trucks and friends SUV's till i got a car with a rear window then i gave up LOL
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Vivid Racing
Former Sponsor

I have tried to tint something in the past, and I would never do it again. The problem that I usually came across, wasn't the difficulty of the job, it was making sure you buy really good tint. Most of the stuff you can buy a roll of, isn't that great, and it ends up turning purple in no time. I would just advise on making sure the tint you buy is really good quality. Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:06 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

where did you buy that? I bought the higher quality rolls at pep boys and I did my old toyota tacoma windows and they were on there for like 6years and never turned purple. Also did my buddies santafe and past 6years no color change. both sat outside 24/7
Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Vivid Racing
Former Sponsor

I don't remember where I purchased them exactly. This was years ago when I was living in southern California. Im sure there are much better products available now than 10 years ago.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:04 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Ah, maybe I would be better off paying someone to do it especially since I only need the door windows done. A friend just had the front windows on his SUV done and he said they only charged him around $50.

Whoever did the quarter & back glass on my car did a really good job, so I'd like to match that.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If you or someone else does the tint, make sure you put moleskin on the weather stripping or you just wasted your money. Without it the rubber weatherstripping will scratch the tint.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever tint their own windows?