Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

first spark plug change at 115k mi

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:57 PM
pinche_maniaco
1st Gear Member

Default first spark plug change at 115k mi

ok ok i know i should have done this a while back. but to my surprise all 8 came out just fine! NONE broke.

what i did was ran the car till operating temp, let it cool for about 30-40 min. removed coils and filled the spark plug hole to the top of the nut on the spark plug using PB Blaster. broke each spark plug about 1/4 to 1/2 turn and let it marinade for 40 min. came back and removed one at a time doing smooth 1/4 turn at a time. i used 3/8 drive ratched with a flexing head and offset handle.

just wanted to tell someone is all.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Good job! You should go buy a lottery ticket!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinche_maniaco
ok ok i know i should have done this a while back. but to my surprise all 8 came out just fine! NONE broke.

what i did was ran the car till operating temp, let it cool for about 30-40 min. removed coils and filled the spark plug hole to the top of the nut on the spark plug using PB Blaster. broke each spark plug about 1/4 to 1/2 turn and let it marinade for 40 min. came back and removed one at a time doing smooth 1/4 turn at a time. i used 3/8 drive ratched with a flexing head and offset handle.

Did a GREAT job!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:46 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinche_maniaco

Good deal!

What kind of gasoline do you use normally?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

I have to swap mine and I am at 111k miles. I already have the tool and only run chevron 91 octane and the occasional techron cleaner every 5k or so. I am hoping for a good out come like yours.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02GTowner
I have to swap mine and I am at 111k miles. I already have the tool and only run chevron 91 octane and the occasional techron cleaner every 5k or so. I am hoping for a good out come like yours.
I was a BMW fan for years. At one time BMW was selling Techron in bottles across the counters at the dealerships. Then they stopped, story was that as found in Chevron gas it was a good "mix". But, sold across the counter in bottles, when it couldn't find stuff in your engine to "eat" it would "eat" your engine instead.

Ever wonder why you don't see flocks of muffler/exhaust system shops around since leaded gas went away? Same story. in the first years of my BMW I ran leaded "Premium" and replaced my rear exhaust quite a few times. The last twenty years I had it, don't think I replaced the exhaust at all. My '89 GMC with unleaded gas and 230k on the odometer still has the original exhaust.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
I was a BMW fan for years. At one time BMW was selling Techron in bottles across the counters at the dealerships. Then they stopped, story was that as found in Chevron gas it was a good "mix". But, sold across the counter in bottles, when it couldn't find stuff in your engine to "eat" it would "eat" your engine instead.

Ever wonder why you don't see flocks of muffler/exhaust system shops around since leaded gas went away? Same story. in the first years of my BMW I ran leaded "Premium" and replaced my rear exhaust quite a few times. The last twenty years I had it, don't think I replaced the exhaust at all. My '89 GMC with unleaded gas and 230k on the odometer still has the original exhaust.
Remember, most exhaust systems are now stainless steel. I think that's why you see less shops like Midas Muffler these days.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 PM
pinche_maniaco
1st Gear Member

ive always had a shell near where ive lived( kinda odd now that i think about that) so ive always used shell 87 oct.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Lucky...my car just hit 130K and I still haven't changed the plugs simply because I'm scared the craps gonna break.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=algregory;8352123]I was a BMW fan for years. At one time BMW was selling Techron in bottles across the counters at the dealerships. Then they stopped, story was that as found in Chevron gas it was a good "mix". But, sold across the counter in bottles, when it couldn't find stuff in your engine to "eat" it would "eat" your engine instead.

Sorry, got to throw the BS flag on that. Like I said, I've been using Techron every 5K miles for the entire life of my '06 GT which now has over 120K miles on it and it hasn't eaten the engine yet. Runs as good as the day I drove it off the lot.

Last edited by Goldenpony; 03-03-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: first spark plug change at 115k mi